M-KOPA is seeking:
Position Title: Lead Business Analyst
Position Start: As Soon As Possible
Reporting to: Product Manager
Overall Purpose: Collaboratively designing solutions to meet business and user needs.
Who We Are: M-KOPA Solar, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, is the global leader of “pay-as-you-go” energy for off-grid customers.
Since its commercial launch in October 2012, M-KOPA has connected more than 350,000 homes in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda to solar power, and is now adding over 500 new homes each day.
The success of M-KOPA (M= mobile, KOPA= to borrow) stems from making solar products affordable to low-income households on a pay-per-use instalment plan.
Customers acquire solar systems for a small deposit and then purchase daily usage “credits” for Ksh 50, or less than the price of traditional kerosene lighting.
After one year of payments customers own their solar systems outright and can upgrade to more power.
All revenues are collected in real-time via mobile money systems (such as M-PESA in Kenya) and embedded GSM sensors in each solar system allow M-KOPA to monitor real time performance and regulate usage based upon payments.
This connected design means that M-KOPA is processing vast amounts of data (i.e. over 10,000 mobile payments per day) via the company’s proprietary cloud platform, M-KOPANET.
As of January, 2016 M-KOPA employs over 900 full time staff across East Africa and sells through a network of over 1,000 direct sales agents. It has also commenced licensing its technology to partners in other markets.
M-KOPA has been recognised for its pioneering business mode and scale, notably winning the 2015 Zayed Future Energy Prize, being selected as the top New Energy Pioneer at the 2014 Bloomberg New Energy Finance awards and earning the 2013 FT/IFC Excellence in Sustainable Finance Award.
M-KOPA has also successfully tested a range of new products that leverage its relationship with customers, and M-KOPA’s unique competencies in mobile telecommunications and ICT.
To ensure that the research and development of new products add value to (and do not distract from) its core business, M-KOPA is establishing the M-KOPA Labs.
The Labs will be a dedicated business unit within M-KOPA that will define and test extensions of the M-KOPA asset-based credit model for off-grid-power to new products and services.
- Collecting, understanding and analyzing operational objectives by studying business functions; gathering information; evaluating output requirements and formats.
- Documenting all business requirements in a clear and concise manner
- Engaging business users and the technology team in order to prioritize system feature requests
- Engaging business users and the technology team in design of M-KOPA’s systems with a view to maximizing value for all involved
- Ensuring the user experience in M-KOPA systems is optimal
- Developing new business processes that have an impact on M-KOPA’s systems and making improvements on existing ones
- Suggesting improvements to M-KOPA’s systems by studying current practices and conceptualizing solutions to challenges arising
- Developing user documentation and training manuals
Education: Preferred: Technology Related Degree
Experience: Required: At least 5 years in a similar position, 3 years in a supervisory role
Knowledge / Skills:
- Ability to analyze and document complex business requirements.
- Aptitude for solving unstructured problems and making decisions.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with an attention to detail
- Strong team leadership skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and manage own time with changing priorities in an agile environment
- Strong oral, written and presentation skills – ability to explain complexity easily to a non-technical stakeholder group.
- Strong understanding and able to articulate risks, issues and dependencies.
- Analytical mind-set and ability to see the big picture.
- A results oriented individual who thrives working in a fast paced environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a willingness to go the extra mile to assist and coach other team members
- Working in an Agile environment
- Prior experience working on UX modelling
Remuneration: Competitive covering a monthly salary, performance bonus and medical benefits reflective of the candidate’s experience and skills.
How to Apply
To apply, send a CV and a cover letter expressing why you feel you would be an excellent candidate for the role to [email protected] with the subject “EV-LBA-2092”.Deadline for application is 5pm on Sunday 9th October, 2016.
Please Note: M-KOPA Solar is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained staff. Women, minorities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, M-KOPA does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment. M-KOPA, as a policy, does not collect/charge any money as a pre-employment or post-employment requirement. This means that we never ask for ‘recruitment fees’, ‘processing fees’, ‘interview fees’ or any other kind of money in exchange for offer letters or interviews at any time during the hiring process.