Job Title: Research, Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
Location: Nairobi Support Office
Reporting to: Research M&E Manager
Probationary Period: 3 months
Marie Stopes International (MSI) is a marketing-focused resulted oriented social business that uses modern management and marketing techniques to provide quality family planning and reproductive health services in more than 43 countries world-wide.
Marie Stopes Kenya (MSK) is a non-profit social business, working with local partners and the government of Kenya to provide quality, affordable and accessible Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH) information and services.
MSK is part of the Marie Stopes International (MSI) global partnership, and works to improve the health and quality of life of women, men, and their families.
The primary responsibility of this role is to further MSI’s Goal: THE PREVENTION OF UNWANTED BIRTHS and its mission of ensuring the individual’s right to: CHILDREN BY CHOICE NOT CHANCE
It is a role requirement that the job holder must fully comply with, promote and live MSI CORE VALUES: mission driven, customer focused, results orientated, pioneering, sustainable and people centered
Systems and mechanisms for excellent data collection are embedded across all channels
- Develop workable data sets that will enable regular collection, storage and interpretation of data needed by the teams from the field and other parts of the operations including the call center
- Support the introduction testing and training of program staff on the use and maintenance and development of these datasets including a strong participatory element with gender balance
- Develop and encourage innovation in data collection including feedback mechanisms amongst program operations team to address internal and external stakeholder information needs
- Strengthen data management systems for MSK projects through log frame development and monitoring using PMPs.
- Pursue options for streamlining and efficiencies through different technologies as appropriate
- Support centers and outreach teams to monitor their performance using CLIC
- Conduct regular data quality assessments across all service channels and provide feedback to teams
Research, Monitoring and evaluation meets excellent standards and MSK information needs at macro and micro level
- Provide both technical and operational support to research projects conducted by MSK and also in partnership with other organizations.
- Provide support in the research design and reviews within the organization.
- Provide support to the project implementation studies including baseline surveys, Midterm Evaluations and Terminal evaluations.
- Capacity building for project staff in the development and implementation of M&E plans including project log frames and performance monitoring plans.
- Provide technical input in the collection and analysis of project data and in the compilation and submission of donor reports.
- Provide technical support in performance reviews and in provision of feedback to project teams as well as in supporting the project teams to develop rapid response mechanisms, setting new targets to achieve project results/ objectives.
- Support the project teams and the service delivery channels in the design and review of project reporting tools and trainings on the same.
- Support the development of data bases for all MSI Kenya projects and service delivery channels working with the project teams to support the integration of reporting systems into the MOH reporting framework.
- Assess the quality of care provided by MSK and routinely facilitate client feedback mechanisms and support the clinical teams in quality assessment including the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of agreed action points/ plans.
- Strengthening engagement with the MOH, working closely with the department of reproductive health in various technical working groups.
- Support in the integration of the Research, M&E unit with the project teams unit to strengthen program learning and strengthen use of evidence in resource mobilization and in programming.
- Conduct routine supervisory visits across the service delivery channels.
- Support the marketing team to conduct market research
- Conduct client feedback analysis for clients visiting the service delivery channels
That relevant and timely research is conducted that furthers the strategic effectiveness of MSK s operations
- Provide technical and operations support to research projects conducted by MSK and also in partnership with other organizations using open data kit( ODK)
- Provide support in the research design and reviews within the organization
- Provide technical support to the project teams in the collection, documentation and dissemination of case studies, success stories and best practices across the entire program and provide staff mentorship and coaching for skills enhancement and coordinates cross learning activities to facilitate scale up/ replication of the best practices.
Accurate information is available for resource mobilization
- Track MSK global indicators to feed into RME activities
- Respond to data collection needs when funding opportunities arise
- Proactively recommend areas of research that would further effective resource mobilization
- Updating various project areas on the mapping databases using Arc GIS
Measures (Key Result Areas)
- Research protocols developed and implemented
- Research are implemented in a timely manners
- Ensure the studies are relevant before they are conducted, reports analysis done and reports given.
- Program staff fully understand the log frames, and are able to measure their own performance
- Quarterly analysis of project data and feedback provided to the relevant team members
- Individual project performance compilation, reporting tools reviewed and are up-to-date
- Individual projects have up-to-date databases to track the project indicators
- Project Case studies, success stories and best practices documented, and shared
- Quality assessment reports reviewed before sharing and inputs provided
- Full and relevant representation of MSK in key GoK TWGs and task forces related to R,M&E
- R, M&E procedures, and evidence from the R<M&E is being utilised by the project teams.
- Supervisory reports written, submitted and discussed with the program teams
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Health, statistics, Demography, information science, health systems or any other related discipline
- Additional qualification in research, monitoring & evaluation and data analysis and presentation using SPSS, advanced Excel and power point is highly desirable
- Previous experience in a sexual and reproductive health program will be an added advantage.
- Clear and excellent understanding of the different donor policy requirements having worked in several donor funded programs.
- Professional experience in Monitoring and Evaluation ( Program Monitoring and Evaluation; qualitative and quantitative research methods; M&E planning; carrying out surveys and impact evaluations);
- Strong competency in the design and implementation of health research programs.
- Strong competency in conceptualizing and designing M&E policies and strategic frameworks for Reproductive Health.
- Wide experience in Community Health (Sexual Reproductive Health and Family Planning)
- Strong skills in Project Cycle Management and planning; developing Monitoring and Evaluation systems (Highly skilled in the formulation, design, development, coordination and implementation of participatory Monitoring and Evaluation frameworks and research)
- Excellent knowledge in advanced statistics and research methodologies. This includes skills in sampling techniques and methodologies, interpretation of statistical figures, professional use of computer software for statistical analysis and other relevant applications (such as SPSS, Epi-Info, Epi-Data and spreadsheets among others).
- Communication and Information dissemination (Writing, editing and appropriate dissemination of reports, newsletter and brochures, documentation of case studies, success stories and best practices; Identification of key partners, policy makers, individuals and audiences; Workshop organization, facilitation and presentation skills; Proposal writing).
- Strong skills in training the program staff in results-oriented monitoring and evaluation.
- Thinking ahead and taking action to make the most of opportunities by finding the optimum solution
- Thinking creatively and outside of the box so that ideas generated create a positive outcome
- Communicating through active listening and good questioning techniques, using appropriate body language, ensuring information is clear and concise.
- Being responsive to changing priorities and demands
- Planning, prioritising and organising work to ensure work is accurate and deadlines are met
- Sharing information and knowledge whilst maintaining confidentiality
Focus on Learning
- Taking responsibility for keeping knowledge and skills updated and for seeking opportunities to develop further
- Awareness and understanding of goals, vision and values and how your role impacts on this and going the extra mile to meet role requirements
- Drive and determination to deliver results
- Taking responsibility for appropriate decisions that you make, and the actions and behaviour you demonstrate
- Openness to embracing change within the organisation and being able to adjust plans/activities accordingly
- Motivation towards achieving quality results to maximise potential
- Working as part of a team by being supportive, flexible and showing respect for each other
How to Apply
Applications quoting the position title with detailed CV, with contact details of 3 referees including their email addresses (1 of which should be your immediate supervisor, 1 former supervisor and 1 any other not relatives) should be submitted to: [email protected] on or before 29th November 2016. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. NB: Please clearly indicate in the subject line as “Research Monitoring and Evaluation Officer”