Duties & Responsibilities
- Record all financial transactions and ensure monthly transactions are entered in the General Ledger accurately and on timely basis
- Conduct bank transactions including withdrawals, deposits, and preparation of all bank payments, checks and prepare bank reconciliations
- Manage verification & liquidation of all project advances and review travel expense reports.
- Calculate and distribute travel advances.
- Audit travel vouchers and reconcile travel advances.
- Ensure accounting records supported by valid supporting documentation (also ensure safe custody of all financial documents)
- Verify and validate office financial back up documentation regularly ensuring proper documentation, compliance and implementation of all policies and procedures when making payments
- Maintain accounting documentation in an orderly manner.
- Ensure that all statutory payments are submitted on a timely basis (PAYE, NSSF, NHIF, Withholding Tax)
- Work closely with the Administration and Logistics Officer on the VAT exemption applications and ensure follow-up of the same including proper record documentation
- Conduct periodic field monitoring visits to supervise cash management and procurement and any other related activities
- Plan and conduct inventory counts and manage the asset register by updating the inventory records
- Work closely with the technical team and assist in drawing up activity budgets for planned activities
- Assist the technical team during the activity planning stage to ensure adherence to the organization’s policies and procedure
- Assist in making payments to workshop participants
- Preparation of Cash Forecasts.
- Scanning all financial documents and submitting hard copy files to Head Office for evaluation and back-up
- Maintain an accurate filing of payment vouchers and other financial documents.
- Ensure adherence to internal controls and make recommendations on areas of potential improvement
- Ensure the security of all project funds.
- Identify and communicate variances and funding gaps, and recommend solutions to the Head of Finance and Administration.
- Receive and verify suppliers’ and consultants’ invoices along with justification documents and ensure that project vendors are paid on time.
- Prepare requests for funds transfers in a timely manner per UMB procedures and requirements.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Business Administration or equivalent professional qualifications with at least 3 years’ of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in general accounting and auditing in a similar position with donor-funded development projects is required.
- Good knowledge of and experience with USG rules and regulations.
- Strong computer skills in QuickBooks accounting software, Microsoft office application including Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
- Good interpersonal and organizational skills with ability to efficiently take up multiple tasks under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Demonstrate ability in analyzing financial documentation and reporting.
- Good communication skills, written and verbal, in English and Kiswahili languages.
- Ability to assist and mentor staff on finance matters to ensure adherence to the organizations’ policies and procedures.
- Willingness to travel to represent and undertake project activities.
- Good knowledge of IT is an added advantage.
How to Apply
If you meet the above qualifications, you are requested to send your application and CV to [email protected] by September 16, 2016. Candidates are required to quote the TITLE & LOCATION of the position being applied on the subject line of the email. Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted. Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.