Médecins sans frontières (MSF) or Doctors Without Borders, is an international humanitarian-aid non-governmental organization (NGO) and Nobel Peace Prize laureate, best known for its projects in war-torn regions and developing countries facing endemic diseases. It was founded in France in response to the Biafran War. The organization is known in most of the world by its localized name or simply as MSF; in Canada and the United States the name Doctors Without Borders is commonly used. In 2015 over 30,000, mostly local, doctors, nurses and other medical professionals, logistical experts, water and sanitation engineers and administrators provided medical aid in over 70 countries. These doctors and nurses decided to volunteer their time to solve issues of world health. Private donors provide about 90% of the organization’s funding, while corporate donations provide the rest, giving MSF an annual budget of approximately US$750 million.
JOB CONTEXT AND GENERAL OBJECTIVE
The Office & HR Coordinator is part of the coordination team at the MSF office based in Nairobi. S/he is hierarchically under the head of Nairobi unit and functionally under the Deputy HR Director in Barcelona. S/he directly supervises all the back-office staff based in Nairobi (Finance Manager, HR/Admin Assistant, I CT/Facility Officer, preparation and travel officer, Driver/Purchaser, and any other that might be appearing in the future).
The main objectives of the positions are three-fold:
- To make sure the correct functioning of the Nairobi unit is in place in order to properly support MSF operations by leading and supporting the back-office staff
- To appropriately implement OCBA HR policies in the Unit, to coordinate and develop all internal HR management processes for the office (recruiting and selection, hiring, HR management, development and training) and to actively participate in creating a positive working environment.
- Support the Head of the Nairobi Unit in security management of staff and office
- Represent the Nairobi Unit office in certain forums as and when requested by the Head of the Nairobi Unit.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Coordination and Management of the support office staff
- S/he is responsible to properly guide, motivate and manage the staff under his/her responsibility.
- To coordinate the activities of back-office staff based in Nairobi (Finance Manager, HR/Admin Assistant, ICT/Facility Officer, preparation and travel officer, Driver/Purchaser and any other that might be appearing in the future)
- To support the staff in the process of their incorporation and assumption of their responsibilities.
- Follow-up the team on daily basis by setting objectives and priorities and providing guidance regarding the content of their role.
- Provide feedback and do the evaluation for the support office team.
- To ensure proper coordination between the different positions and the rest of the unit and facilitate support from the appropriate HQ Departments as needed.
- S/he is responsible to organize the back-up of the above-mentioned staff when needed
- S/he is directly responsible for the selection of (new) back-office staff.
- Represent the Head of the unit in certain forums/ meetings as requested by Head of The Unit.
- Represent the Nairobi unit in Human Resources platforms or working groups in Kenya.
- Internal functioning of the Nairobi Office
- S/he is responsible for the definition, adaptation and implementation of MSF procedures in the Nairobi Unit: HR, Finances, Facilities, and Internal Organization etc.
- To ensure consistency and information flow within the office and with the missions (in the future)
- To communicate with the different Departments in Barcelona in order to streamline local procedures and to facilitate to resolve problems.
- S/he is responsible to ensure the correct functioning of the Nairobi unit in General Services (logistics, facilities, administration, travel and legal compliance) and takes decisions autonomously for those areas that have been decentralized and in collaboration with Barcelona for the rest.
- Finance and Purchasing
- To support the Head of the Unit with the planning exercises at the unit, both in terms of definition of Finance need and in strategic Finance strategies for the unit.
- S/he is responsible for the back office budget and its revisions and follow up with the team and Finance Manager.
- To authorize purchases and invoices (with the limits established in the policies and procedures) for the unit.
- To act as account signatory for the Nairobi unit bank accounts.
- To act as responsible for security of money and assets for the unit.
- To oversee and ensure compliance (following up with the Finance Manager) with statutory and other financial compliance requirements in the country.
Human Resources Management
- HR strategy and policies
- To support the Head of the Unit with the planning exercises at the unit, both in terms of definition of HR needs (FTEs) and in strategic HR strategies for the unit.
- Regularly analyze the unit’s structure propose changes as needed to head of the unit.
- Ensure vacancies are opened in time according to the procedures set out by OCBA
- In collaboration with HR Department, propose strategies and policies adapted to the context and ensure that Nairobi unit develops into an environment that facilitates innovation and integration at all levels.
- Ensure compliance with all HR policies, procedures and guides, updating them when necessary and in line with OCBA, and supporting the teams in using them.
- Keep the unit’s team informed and help to circulate information concerning HR news or policy changes.
- Recruiting and induction
- Ensure the recruitment and selection processes for the unit are properly implemented in coordination with management and provide the necessary technical support to the heads of the unit and rest of teams.
- Ensure transparency of recruitment process, communications and best feedback possible to applicants.
- Ensure the definition and implementation of timely and adequate induction plan for any new employees who join the unit.
- Ensure that job profiles are correct and kept updated.
- Responsible for the induction of staffs who are not permanently based in the unit but due to circumstances could stay longer than anticipated.
- Adapts and implements the MSF hiring policy in the country in line with local legislation and the needs of the unit
- Administration and Remuneration
- S/he is responsible for staff administrative management in the unit.
- S/he is knowledgeable about the legislation in force in the country and ensures that MSF complies with it.
- S/he is knowledgeable about MSF and OCBA policies concerning working conditions and ensures compliance with these.
- Oversees and ensures confidentiality of staffs files and other HR related issues in the unit.
- Initiates and participates in the revision of Regulations with support from the head of the Nairobi unit and Deputy HR Director in BCN.
- Controls and implements Health and Safety procedures at the Nairobi unit, ensuring that MSF complies with rules and regulations in force and avoiding risks for employees and economic sanctions for MSF.
- To design/review/implements the health policy for the unit, based on the OCBA health policy in discussions with staff health responsible and the Head of the Nairobi unit.
- Ensure proper implementation of the recruitment and retention cycle including administrative aspects (visas, work permits, first hiring, insurance, probationary periods, dismissals, sick leave, etc.) with the support from the team.
- Oversee and ensure preparation of salaries and wages in the unit using the most adequate tool.
- S/he is responsible to propose and implement on the approval of the Head of the unit and, Head of Compensation and Policies and Deputy HR DIR in Barcelona any change within the remuneration of the staff of the unit (per diem, salary scale, inflation adjustment etc.)
- HR management
- To perform all necessary tasks to ensure adequate management of Human Resources at the Nairobi Unit office, in line with HR guidelines.
- To provide technical support to all supervisors concerning HR management, ensuring they know, understand and apply HR management policies and tools.
- To identify when support and guidance concerning staff management is needed and provide this, giving advice on Human Resources management.
- To manage potential work-related conflict between the team members.
- To monitor the working dynamics and conditions of the teams, all HR-related matters and the general standard of HR management on a regular basis, ensuring follow-up of the Nairobi unit staff in their everyday work, including attendance/absences/leave/holidays etc, and other aspects needed for the team and working environment to run smoothly.
- Development & follow-up
- To make sure all managers identify areas of development within their staff and help in the definition and assessment of the learning needs of the staff.
- To link with the Barcelona Learning Unit on learning and development of staffs.
- To ensure that a competency-based Performance Management System is put into practice and followed up, according to the protocol and the procedure defined by OCBA.
- To train and support all those who have to carry out performance management assessment.
- To organize, centralize and systematize documents and procedures pertaining to the performance management system at the unit in line with the procedures set out.
- In collaboration with Learning Units, to organize trainings for the staff as identified through the learning needs assessment.
- Under the supervision of the Nairobi unit and Deputy HR Director, to define and report on specific HR indicators and objectives.
- To check the quality of the information management system data (SAP) and Homere and of other management tools, reporting according to the HR indicators.
- Provide credible information and contextual analysis of localized security situations and incidents along with appropriate advice to the unit’s team.
- Interpret and ensure staff and management follow the unit’s security management guidelines to assure thoroughness and consistency in its management.
- Review security guidelines/policies (in collaboration with the head of the unit and security advisors in Barcelona) when there is significant change in the security environment in.
- Ensures that each new staffs are inducted and briefed on personal security, guidelines/ policies and the relevant national security management plan.
- Ensure implementation of physical security measure in the office and Unit’s Guest house.
- Act as a backup for the head of the Nairobi unit in his/her absence on matters security.
Training and experience
- University degree in Economics, Business Studies, Humanities, HR or the like.
- At least 4 years’ experience in a job with responsibilities in (HR) management in the non-profit making sector.
- Consolidated experience and knowledge of global HR management (selection, administration, competency-based management, training, etc.)
- Prior experience in operations (project Coordinator will be a strong advantage
- Work experience at international level is desirable.
- MSF experience will be an advantage
- Fluent English and Swahili
- IT working knowledge (Microsoft Office).
- Knowledge of the ERP-SAP system and Homere is an asset.
- Field experience with MSF or other humanitarian NGOs is a plus especially in operations and HR.
- Knowledge on security management is a requirement.
- Highly motivated and interested in the humanitarian sector.
- Timetable flexibility
- Commitment to MSF’s Principles
- Cross-cultural Awareness
- Strategic Vision
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Service Orientation
- Planning and Organising
- Initiative and Innovation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- People Management and Development
- Networking and Building Relationships
- Security awareness and Management
- Location: Based in Nairobi, at the Médecins Sans Frontières-Spain Nairobi unit office.
- Full-time job
- Annual gross salary per year of KES 3827887 + Secondary Benefits based on MSF OCBA Reward Policy
How to Apply
Applicants should send their curriculum vitae and cover motivation letterby 14th May 2017 under the reference “O&HR COORDINATOR´´ .
MSF SPAIN, East Africa Unit P.O. Box 60204-00200 Mayfair center, 4th Floor Ralph Bunche Rd. Nairobi.
MSF will contact only short-listed candidates