The Media Council of Kenya is an independent national institution established by the Media Council Act 2013 for purposes of setting of media standards and ensuring compliance with those standards as set out in Article 34(5) of the Constitution and for connected purposes. The Council started as a self-regulating body in 2004 to regulate media industry in Kenya but transited through the Media Act 2007 and adopted co-regulation media regulation approach, where board members and the Secretariat while receiving government funds to support some of its activities, remain very independent in their operations and are not subject to any form of control.
Chief Executive Officer
- Job TypeFull Time
- Experience5 – 10 years
- Location Nairobi
- Job Field Administration / Secretarial
Reporting to the Council, the Chief Executive Officer will be responsible for providing leadership and direction towards achievement of the organization’s mission and vision.
Duties & Responsibilities for the Chief Executive Officer Job
- Carrying out the day-to-day business of the Council;
- Provide leadership and oversee planning and implementation of media regulation and setting and enforcement of professional standards for journalists.
- Developing and recommending to the Council a long term strategy, business plans, and annual operating budgets and establishing proper internal monitoring and control systems and procedures;
- Stakeholder Management to building trust, ownership and support of Council’s media regulation function.
- Networking and articulation of emerging issues in the Media including media freedom and policy and professional development of journalists;
- Coordinating and preparing business related proposals, reports and other submissions for consideration by the Council;
- Ensuring continuous achievement of the Council’s financial, budgetary and operating goals and objectives;
- Management of human capital including ensuring effective productivity, efficiency and discipline;
- Coordinate professional trading and education of journalists and other media practitioners;
- Attending to personnel matters including organizational structures, appointments, welfare, training, industrial relations, separation and effective management succession plans;
- Ensure continuous improvement in the quality and value of the services and products provided by the Council;
- Overseeing and ensuring implementation of corporate policies and Programmes;
- Maintaining a conducive work environment for attracting, retaining and motivating employees;
- Fostering a corporate culture that promotes ethical practices and good corporate citizenship;
- Acting as the principal spokesman of the Council;
- Ensuring that funds of the Council are properly expended and accounted for;
- Maintaining such records of the Council as the Council may, from time to time, require; and
- Any other responsibilities as may be necessary to achieve the corporate objectives.
- In the execution of this assignment, the Chief Executive Officer will be expected to ensure and uphold exemplary Corporate Governance in line with Organization’s core values and promote a robust performance-driven culture.
Qualifications f0r the Chief Executive Officer Job
- Master’s Degree in Communication studies , media or journalism;
- Minimum Experience of 10 (ten) years 5 (five) of which must be in senior management position in a media related organization;
- Corporate Governance Training from a recognised institution;
- Have been training in Strategic Leadership programme not less than six weeks from a recognised institution;
- Excellent interpersonal, advocacy and communication skills;
- Demonstrated skills and competency in resource mobilization and institutional advancement;
- Excellent Knowledge of Media Ethics and Law and related trends in media sphere;
- Proficiency in MS Office computer packages;
- Proficiency in fund administration software systems will be an added advantage.
Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
The candidate must possess the following skills and competencies:-
- The Candidate must have a good knowledge of the media Sector in Kenya including regualtion trends
- Demonstrate understanding of public service values;
- Demonstrate distinguished leadership and people skills in public sector organization, management and operations;
- Meet the provisions of Chapter Six of the Constitution;
- Strategic capability with proven ability to relate emerging global issues with the organization’s mission, vision and strategy;
- Proven ability to build effective teams;
- Proactive, initiative, good networking, negotiation, fund raising and collaborative skills;
- Have excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Detail oriented, meets all the deadlines and delivers on the results;
- Excellent analytical and structured problem solving skills.
Interested candidates must obtain clearance from the following:
- Kenya Revenue Authority;
- Higher Education Loans Board;
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission;
- Certificate from a reputable Credit Reference Bureau;
- Certificate of Good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigation.
Research & Monitoring Officer
- Job TypeFull Time
- QualificationBA/BSc/HND MBA/MSc/MA
- Location Nairobi
- Job Field Administration / Secretarial
Overall Purpose of the Position
To supervise the media monitoring unit of the Council in a manner that develops, maintains and continually improves the Council’s image and reputation to stakeholders and partners.
Responsibilities for the Research & Monitoring Officer Job
- Formulate the media monitoring programme for the Council and oversee its implementation
- Supervise and train media monitors and interns and guide them to ensure strict adherence to the media monitoring principles.
- Design and implement qualitative and quantitative monitoring tools for the assessment of the performance of Kenyan media
- Generate reliable and timely monitoring reports and data for the Media Resource Centre
- Coordinate the writing and production of the annual State of the Media Report.
- Work closely with the Programmes Manager in the maintenance of an efficient and effective monitoring unit
- Schedule monitoring activities and assignments in a manner that ensures adequate control and cost effectiveness in the use of materials and facilities.
Qualifications for the Research & Monitoring Officer Job
- Relevant Master´s Degree from an accredited institution in Communications, Journalism;
- Degree in journalism/communication from a recognised institution, or any other relevant field with verifiable work experience in media monitoring and research;
- Post graduate qualification in project management.
- Good research skills preferably in analysis of media text/content analysis (qualitative and quantitative)
- Skills and experience in ICT- based applications; advanced proficiency in SPSS and Microsoft Excel
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Report writing and public presentation skills.
- Conversant with the current media performance trends and professional issues related to ethical principles in journalism.
How to Apply
Applicants meeting desired qualifications should send their applications giving full details of their age, qualifications, experience, present and expected remuneration, full contact address including daytime telephone number, detailed C.V, copies of certificates and testimonials and contact details of three referees.
Applications should indicate position applied for including the reference number and addressed to:
The Chairman Media Council of Kenya P.O. Box 43132- 00100 NAIROBI
Applications can also be sent via E-mail: [email protected]. Or hand deliver applications to: Media Council of Kenya, Britam Centre, Ground Floor at Mara/Ragati Road Junction in Upper Hill