Job Title: Medical Officer In-charge (Western Kenya)
Job Code: MOIC-WK/TSK/160530
Number of Positions Open: 1
Reports To: Hospital Administrator
Location: Western Kenya
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Job Summary: Responsible for clinical services within the Hospital, ensures provision of efficient services, plans, controls use of resources, budget and medical supplies.
- Provides leadership, coaching, support and guidance to ensure achievement of set objectives.
- Ensures guidance and training of junior doctors, clinical officers, interns, medical students and other cadres of clinical staff
- Overall supervision of the running of laboratory, pharmacy, medical stores, X-ray, Dental, Anesthesia, Eye, Physiotherapy, TB and medical records units.
- Ensures that duty rota’s for Doctors and clinical officers are produced and adequate with cover for all areas.
- Ensures students and interns on attachment are appropriately placed within medical department and well supervised.
- Proactively encourages continuous medical education for all cadres of staff including weekly meetings within the department, bi-weekly critical updates and external meetings of clinical relevance.
- Corresponds with overseas Doctors wishing to work in the Hospital, applying for their licenses and ensuring their orientation on arrival and support during their stay.
- Proactively ensures that the treatment manual and other guidelines and protocols are up-to-date and readily available to staff.
- Proactively sources for medical supplies and equipment in collaboration with CEO/work with MOH and donor agencies in the promotion of health in the catchments areas.
- Communicates with Donors and visitors on appropriate equipment, drugs and supplies to donate.
- Preparation and ensuring compliance with the set budget
- Ensures annual performance evaluations (appraisals) are done by unit supervisors and also evaluates the Doctors, Clinical Officers, unit supervisors and single staff units.
- Represents the Hospital and liaises with the local and national authorities, donor agencies to promote the Hospital’s programs/facilitates successful coordination.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum of an MSc in Medicine.
- At least 10 years in a senior management position in a health institution
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent grasp of soft skills and ability to pay attention to detail
- Must be a team player
- High level of integrity and conflict handling skills.
- A calling as a Christian to serve
Decision Making Authority and Controls:
- Can make decisions regarding medical department in consultation with the CEO and other stake holders. However, can independently make decisions on issues that are clearly spelt out on policy and procedure.
Problems / Key Features:
- Enforcing of ethics and professionalism in healthcare provision.
- Must proactively keep abreast of improvements in healthcare provision
- Ensuring proper coverage by Doctors
- Dealing with the high turnover and lack Doctors willing to join the Hospital
- Dealing with donors and health agencies.
How to Apply
- Interested candidates holding the necessary requirements, good performance and / or references are encouraged to apply with detailed CV’s, inclusive of names and contacts of 3 referees, current telephone number and email address by sending your application to: [email protected] Kindly include your current and expected remuneration in your application. Be advised, this job is open to Kenyan nationals only