University of Maryland
School of Medicine
Vacancy: Medical Officer – Technical Lead for the People Who Inject Drugs (PWID Program)
Employment Type: Full Time
Proposed Start Date: October 1, 2015
Introduction: Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation (MGIC) is an affiliate of University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB).
UMB has a Global Health Program which is delivered through the Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation (MGIC) and housed by various institutes among them the Institute of Human Virology (IHV).
Since 2004, IHV has partnered with the governments of Kenya, Guyana, Haiti, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia to address each country’s growing HIV and AIDS epidemics.
The Institute has led efforts to build National Health Systems in each country via strategic international, national, and local collaborations through the design and implementation of unique education, training, and treatment programs addressing each country’s complex HIV/AIDS epidemics.
In Kenya, UMB through the Institute of Human Virology started operations in 2004 under the AIDS Relief Project consortium funded by Presidential Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) through HRSA/CDC.
This was the beginning of UMB’s work in Kenya which has seen implementation of 11 grants to-date.
MGIC is seeking a suitably qualified persons able to fill the position of Medical Officer.
Position Summary: Under the supervision of Senior Technical Advisor, the Medical Officer will tasked to deliver Quality care to PWIDs using health oriented approach which includes capacity building of the technical team and facility staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide high quality clinical patient care including leading clinical effectiveness efforts, ensuring implementation of recommended clinical protocols and national guidelines.
- Support clinical team in the implementation of harm reduction strategies including management of HIV and related diseases.
- Operationalize data demand and information use at designated facilities.
- Onsite mentoring to clinical teams with the goal of performance improvement in the overall patient care.
- Examine facility operations and systems and recommend ways to improve outputs and outcomes.
- Represent organization in technical capacity at national, county and facility level meetings.
- Organize and facilitate trainings using National curricula.
- Organize and facilitate in various CPDs based on National Curricula.
- Organize and co-ordinate facilitation of journal review meetings and CMEs at designated facilities.
- Bachelors’ degree in Medicine.
- 4 years’ experience in medical practice, with one (1) year experience in a supervisory role.
- Experience in the management of key populations program will be an added advantage.
- Registration with Medical practitioners and dentists board
- Demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills with an eye for detail.
- Ability to work independently, under pressure while at the same time adhering to strict deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent analytical skills
- Innovative with a high degree of initiative
- Organizational skills
- Leadership skills
How to Apply
If you meet the above mentioned qualifications, you are requested to send your cover letter and CV to [email protected] by 28th August 2015.
Candidates are requested to indicate “Medical Officer – PWID Technical Lead” on the subject line of the email.
Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted.
Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation is an equal opportunity employer