Looking for an internship opportunity to gain valuable work exoeroence? Check out the available Finance Internship at Mercy Corps and apply
Location: Wajir Duration: 2 months
Mercy Corps is a leading global relief and development agency saving and improving lives in the world’s toughest places. In more than 40 countries, we partner with local people to put bold ideas into action, help them overcome adversity and build stronger communities.
Scope of Work Department Description:
- The Mercy Corps Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions in Nairobi, including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance.
- The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures.
- In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
Finance Internship Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Finance Manager, the intern will support the team in the Wajir office through the following activities:
- Assist in petty cash payment; Assist the program team with payments/reimbursements in the field;
- Assist in reviewing partners financial reports;
- Review coding in the financial documents;
- File all cash and bank vouchers and maintain voucher filing system such that files are updated, complete and safeguarded; Organizing sub-grant files in the field office;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Learning Objectives At the completion of this internship, the intern will:
- Be able to manage petty cash (Cash Management) Record Transactions
- Understand the chart of accounts and coding structure Understand the basics of fund management
- Understand Donor policies Deliverables:
- Proper filing of posted vouchers All invoices stamped paid when payment is made Adequate cash in the office Proper coding of transactions
Eligibility for Finance Internship
- Diploma or degree in business, economics, finance or a related field.
- CPA 2 or equivalent Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are essential; Ability to take initiative and work independently;
- Must be comfortable working in a cross-cultural environment; Flexibility and ability to handle multiple tasks successfully
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above required qualifications and experience should submit a cover letter, detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) listing three references (including a University Lecturer) to [email protected] on or before 14th August, 2016. The email subject line must clearly show the job title and location they are applying for. Please do not attach any certificates. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.