Vacancy: Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
mHealth Kenya is a limited liability company that brings together a team of experts with a diversity of knowledge and experience, and a deep understanding of ICT for Health.
mHealth Kenya’s purpose is to bridge communication gaps among remote healthcare facilities, community workers, and central government headquarters to improve care and treatment.
mHealth Kenya endeavors to explore numerous applications of mobile health (mHealth) technology, such as increasing direct patient care, rapid lab results communication, worker training, and drug supply-level management.
Over the last several years, mHealth Kenya has risen to be at the forefront of facilitating improved public health through use of mobile technologies.
As the company grows so is its projects portfolio with several exciting opportunities that need to be filled by talented individuals possessing passion for excellence, strong work ethics, are results oriented, committed to professionalism and personal advancement as below:
Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
mHealth Kenya in collaboration with the National Ministry of Health and CDC Kenya have identified a number of priority areas to help bridge the gap within the Kenyan Ministry of Health systems.
The “Phones for Health” program, which focuses on the utilization of mobile solutions within the public health sector to improve access and enhance efficiencies within selected HIV/AIDS health care services, has been implemented from 2009 to 2015.
There is an urgent need to conduct an evaluation for the “Phones for Health” program to assess how these mHealth solutions impacted the respective program areas in an effort to inform future program decision making related to resource allocation and strategic planning
This position shall involve leading the design and implementation of program evaluations for mHealth Kenya projects under the “Phones for Health” program and other priority initiatives.
The position shall require expertise in designing evaluation plans and coordinating the implementation of those studies, as well as providing consultation in design, instrument and procedure development, data analysis and interpretation, report development, and dissemination.
The incumbent will develop evaluation protocols; carry out data collection, analysis, and management and quality assurance activities related to the evaluation study.
The Evaluation Officer shall also acts as a liaison officer between community partnerships, public and private agencies, and mHealth Kenya
Evaluation Development and Study Design:
- Lead the design and conceptualization of evaluation projects.
- Develop logical models, evaluation plans, study designs and methodologies, procedure and instrument development, sampling plans and protocols, and data analyses plans.
- Develop and refine evaluation protocols for review and approval prior to the implementation of the evaluation.
- This position will be essential in providing evidence for scale up of the projects.
- The incumbent shall participates in project development activities, including the identification, conceptualization, writing and production of proposals, preparation of work plans, reading and reviewing literature and materials, assembling plans and models for new technical assistance and evaluation activities, and seeking opportunities for project development and additional project funding.
- Support Program Director in reviewing evaluation plans, tools, and reports to ensure quality and validity.
Evaluation Implementation, Data Analysis, and Reporting:
- Provide technical assistance on evaluation design and methodology, data collection, data analysis, and reporting to mHealth Kenya staff and directly to stakeholders when necessary.
- Oversee data gathering and management, including data collection design and management procedures, instrument development, and the implementation of data collection processes.
- Conduct qualitative, descriptive, inferential and multivariate statistical analyses using SAS, STATA, R, SPSS, Access and other statistical software when necessary.
- Coordinate and prepare project related reports, presentations, and other written materials for dissemination.
- A position to develop resource and educational materials, planning and process guidance, policy and research updates, or other information to support programs and client activities.
- Develop, plan, and coordinate evaluation project activities.
- Assess project needs and develop project action plans and timelines.
- Identify and prioritize project tasks.
- Coordinate project tasks with project team members.
- Monitor task status and participate in proactive planning to maintain project schedules.
- Coordinate and participate in the development of all National, CDC and PEPFAR project reporting requirements, such as IRB paperwork, project quarterly reports, and annual reports, final and special reports.
- Lead team meetings, and receive project updates on the completion status of tasks, ongoing activities, and project issues from project staff.
- Support the development of team members and provide mentorship and guidance as needed.
- Ensure careful review of all products.
- Correspond with clients and subcontractors, funding agencies, and project partners on an ongoing basis.
- Monitor projects’ financial status and timelines.
- Remain current on literature in key areas, to be identified in collaboration with Program Director.
- Periodic travels both within and outside of Nairobi are needed.
- Presents project results and coordinate project meetings as needed.
- Maintains a positive, strong, credible, professional interpersonal relationship with all parties of and represents the best interest of mHealth Kenya at all times
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Master’s degree in Public Health; evaluation, epidemiology, measurement, biostatistics and research; or other relevant social science discipline.
- Concentration or specialization in program evaluation, or research methods preferred.
- Demonstrated professional experience and leading role in project evaluations as applied in community settings.
- Minimum of three years of experience conducting relevant evaluation and/or research projects (including involvement in the methodological design, project management, data collection and management, statistical analysis, report writing, and dissemination activities of the project).
- Experience in engaging stakeholders in evaluation practice using community-based participatory research/evaluation approach preferred.
- Experience in working with large datasets and/or in a USG supported program preferred.
- Experience in the process of writing USG evaluation protocols will be an added advantage.
Important Skills and Characteristics
- Advanced computer skills are required, to include: experience and expertise in the use of MS Word, MS Excel, Statistical analysis software (SPSS, STATA, R, SAS), database (MS Access), and graphical presentations (MS PowerPoint).
- Ability to assess and reprioritize project needs on an ongoing basis.
- Strong organizational, and problem solving skills including the ability to manage multiple tasks, and respond to conflicting deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, written and oral communications skills (including public speaking)
- A positive attitude and professional demeanor; interest in learning and mastering new information and skills.
- Ability to work independently and effectively identify solutions to everyday issues
- Ability to function as a productive member of a team;
- Flexibility and adaptability to a fast-paced, dynamic work environment.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
- May require up to 20% of travel to facilitate data collection and management as well as stakeholder engagement efforts
How to Apply
All application letters and detailed CVs, copies of certificates, telephone contacts together with names of three referees should reach us no later than 13th August, 2015
to Email: [email protected]
mHealth Kenya Ltd
Rosami Court, 3rd Floor, No.6
Muringa Road, Kilimani
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted