Closing date: 11 Nov 2016
Passionate about developing and implementing solutions for hidden hunger, the Micronutrient Initiative (MI) works in partnership with governments, the private sector and civil society organizations to address micronutrient deficiency and related health and nutrition problems in underserved populations. Governed by an international Board of Directors, MI works in Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, and Latin America and reaches 500 million people in 70 countries. With headquarters in Ottawa, Canada MI maintains regional offices in New Delhi, India and soon Nairobi, Kenya that manage our country offices in Asia and Africa.
As we begin staffing our Africa Regional Office in Nairobi, Kenya we are seeking an experienced and highly motivated individual to fill the following position based in Nairobi.
KENRO- 12 – Contracting and Procurement Manager, Africa Region
Overall Purpose/Broad Function
The Manager for Contracting and Procurement, Africa Region is responsible for supporting the contracting and procurement activities within the region. The position ensures effective and efficient contracting and procurement within the region, including adherence to the organization’s policies and procedures. This position also ensures that all the contracts comply with relevant local laws and recognized procurement practices and offer value for money.
Education and Experience
• A Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Commerce, Law, Procurement or related field, supply chain management/logistics from reputable university.
• Professional qualification in procurement as well as membership of a professional body with good standing.
• Minimum 5 years of experience in contract management and procurement.
• Experience of handling donor related contracts would be preferable.
• The incumbent should have knowledge of Procurement, applicable laws and regulations, administration and management, personnel and human resources, economics and accounting, relevant tools and technology, customer and personal service, and education and training.
• The incumbent should have the following skill sets: negotiation, persuasion, supervisory, active listening and learning, critical thinking, analytical thinking, judgment and decision making, reading comprehension, management of material resources, project management, time management, presentation, and operations analysis.
• The following abilities are important for this role: oral expression and comprehension, speech clarity and recognition, written expression and comprehension, deductive reasoning, and problem sensitivity.
• Work Values- Individuals who will succeed in this position:
• embrace progressive opportunities and good working conditions that are health and safety conscious,
• adhere to a strict code of ethical conduct,
• offer supportive management, and empower employees to work independently and make decisions.
• The following work styles are attributable to this position: integrity, dependability, stress tolerance, attention to detail, persistence, initiative, leadership, adaptability/flexibility, and cooperation.
• Strong commitment to leadership, management, transparency. Excellent interpersonal skills, negotiation skills, and conflict resolution skills. Furthermore, excellent planning and organizational abilities are required. Flexibility and an exhibited awareness of, and sensitivity to other cultures are considered important as the Senior Officer, works with diverse groups, individuals and interest
• Fluency in English (Reading, Writing & Oratory Skills) is a prerequisite. Knowledge of other languages would be an asset.
Other specific skill requirements
• Manager will be an independent contributor, self-directed and work as part of a broader team. However, this role will often consult with relevant colleagues for their views, concerns and issues related to contracting and procurement.
How to Apply
To apply, please visit our website at www.micronutrient.org/careers for a complete job description. Please send a full CV and cover letter by e-mail to [email protected] by Friday November 11, 2016 quoting the corresponding job number in the subject line. Please note that this position is based in Nairobi, Kenya and Kenyan Nationals are encouraged to apply. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No telephone calls please. Although we thank all applicants who apply, only those under consideration will be contacted.