Millennium Water Alliance Kenya Office
Terms of Reference for Interns to be based in Nairobi
Job Title: Interns / Junior Officers
Project: Kenya Resilient Arid Lands Partnership for Integrated Development (Kenya RAPID)
Reporting to: Kenya RAPID WASH advisor
Closing Date: February 16th 2017
The Millennium Water Alliance (MWA) is a consortium of America’s leading charities working to bring clean, safe drinking water and sanitation to millions of the world’s poorest people in Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
Founded in 2002, MWA seeks to advance high standards for program quality, transparency, and accountability, and work with its members to bring to scale effective and sustainable water, sanitation, and hygiene education solutions.
- Kenya Rapid Program Overview
The Kenya Resilient Arid Lands Partnership for Integrated Development (Kenya RAPID) is one of the key MWA programs in Kenya.
Kenya RAPID mobilizes financial and technical resources from development partners, national government, county government, and the private sector to support sustainable and resilient livelihoods by improving water availability and water service delivery to people and livestock, and improve rangelands in Kenya’s Arid and Semi-Arid Lands (ASALs).
The program builds on the successes and lessons learned from USAID’s (US Agency for International Development) Kenya Arid Lands Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Program (KALDRR-WASH) and the Swiss Development Corporation’s (SDC) Water for Livestock (W4L) program – both implemented in Northern Kenya from 2012-2014.
There are four key lessons from these programs that define the strategic direction and implementation strategy of KENYA RAPID:
1) strong county institutions are a necessary pre-condition to long-term sustainability;
2) enhanced coordination and integration of development programs across sectors will result in more coherent and efficient support to county governments and thus increase impact;
3) private sector participation in the WASH and livestock sectors will lead to increased investment and more options for improved and financially viable water service delivery; and
4) communities must be empowered with the knowledge and ability to exercise rights and responsibilities for water and rangeland resources.
The overall goal of Kenya RAPID is to contribute to sustainable and resilient livelihoods for communities in the ASALs.
There are three strategic objectives (SOs) that will guide the program toward its goal:
- SO 1: A responsive and accountable governance framework is in place and operational at the county government level that ensures sustainable provision of water and pasture;
- SO 2: Replicable and scalable business models for sustainable WASH and livestock service delivery have been developed and operationalized; and
- SO 3: Communities have increased access to sustainable WASH services and improved rangeland management.
- Job Summary: This is a six-month short-term internship to support the Kenya RAPID program on all programmatic and administrative related duties including day to day logistical and administrative support to the office of the Kenya Program Director.
The intern will have hands on experience on office management as well as programmatic support. The intern will work directly with the PCU staff as well as MWA partners.
Responsibility #1: Administration
- Provide clerical support to the finance officer to consolidate DA1 forms and ensure that records partners monthly submissions are well documented as per the guidelines provided by MWA
- Maintain inventory/ assets and stationery stores records and ensure that they are secure and properly used as per the policy.
- Maintain time sheet and leave schedules for program staff.
- Coordinate all logistical support for the Kenya program staff and MWA US staff and guests for field trips, external travel, conferences and technical working group meeting.
- Provide administrative support to the program director/chief of party during the quarterly joint planning and review programme management meetings (PMG) including taking the minutes.
- Handling telephone calls and general enquiries
- Maintain a manual filing system for the office documents
- Maintain an electronic filing system synchronized to the manual system for the office
- Coordinate the Kenya Program Director’s/chief of party diary for meetings, etc.
- Any other assignment delegated by the supervisor
Responsibility #2: Provide M&E support to Kenya RAPID Program
- Coordination /clerical support to the Kenya RAPID program to implement Kenya RAPID WASH MEL framework on data collection and analysis using AKVO.org
- Support the WASH, Policy and Nutrition advisors on updating the output table
- Tracking the indicator table
- Ensure project management folders are well maintained in a current state
- Maintain a comprehensive labeled photo library
Responsibility #3: Coordination with National and County government
Provide administrative and clerical support in all activities relates to effective devolution especially on supporting PCU team in development of country water bills, country water policy, county water investment plans and county water master plans
- Provide logistical support for high level MWA organized coordination meetings with the key Government representatives and other WASH actors
- Represent MWA in technical working group meetings when called upon by the program director/chief of party
Contacts/ Key Relationships (Internal & External):
- Kenya MWA members
- Government and local authorities
- Local and International NGOs
- The target communities/beneficiaries
- MWA Kenya/ MWA USA Team
- All other stakeholders
Working Conditions: Interns will be based in MWA Kenya Program Coordination unit office in Nairobi
Send your application to [email protected]