Duration:1 Year with possibility of extension
The MERL Coordinator will be responsible for overall implementation of Monitoring and Evaluation activities for the AKF programme in the Coast Region of Kenya.
Scope of Role
- Oversee and coordinate the monitoring, evaluation and learning agenda for the Coast Region programme which includes Education, Early Childhood Development, Sustainable Economic Development and Civil Society projects.
- The MERL Coordinator will have the overall responsibility for designing and implementing M&E systems for effective tracking of progress in projects and area programme implementation and results (outputs and outcomes), and facilitating use of M&E outputs for review of projects strategies, enhanced accountability and learning, in alignment with the AKF MERL standards.
Reports to: Area Manager with a dotted reporting line to the Regional MERL Manager
Staff Directly reporting to this role: MERL Project Officers
Key Areas of Accountability
M&E Planning and Coordination
- Coordinate and deliver the MERL agenda of the area programme
- Lead development and implementation of sound M&E frameworks, indicators, protocols and tools for all projects for efficient and effective tracking of programme’s progress
- Coordinate projects related surveys and studies
- Design, carry out and/or supervise consultants conducting evaluations across all programme area Reporting
Coordinate production of high quality M&E reports for donors and AKF management
- Ensure reporting deadlines are met and communication of relevant notifications to program leads for timely reporting
- Proactively track documents due and completed and provide targeted support to staff in cases where deadlines are not going to be met
- Coordinate core sector indicator reporting and validation in liaison with the Regional MERL Manager
- Coordinate quality assurance activities of the area programme including conducting regular programme quality assessments, partner assessments, field monitoring visits and supervision of all related projects data collection
Routinely perform quality control checks of monitoring and evaluation work, overseeing that planned monitoring and evaluation activities are taking place
- Co-lead the reviews and reflections processes across the area programme in liaison with project managers and area programme manager
- Promote sharing of lessons learned from programme monitoring and evaluation to improve future programme selection, design and implementation
- Track planned evaluations, researches and ensure that these reports are obtained and shared to facilitate learning
- Document lessons learnt and good practices and share them with the broader organisation in liaison with the AKF Coast Region Manager.
- Staff Management, Mentorship, and Development
Manage performance of direct reports in the work area through:
- Effective use of the Performance Management System including the establishment of clear, measurable objectives, ongoing feedback, periodic reviews and fair and unbiased evaluations;
- Coaching, mentoring and other developmental opportunities;
- Recognition and rewards for outstanding performance
- Maintain clear communication with both the functional (direct) line manager and the technical manager to foster a smooth working relation under existing matrix structure.
Qualifications for the Monitoring & Evaluation Job
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline, preferably in international development, economics, Statistics or social sciences
- Minimum 6 years of relevant professional experience in designing and implementation of M&E of development programmes (mainly education and agricultural) with international NGOs or donor agencies; at least 2 of these years in an M&E related management position
- Extensive knowledge of Results-Based Management (RBM), including how to develop logic models and SMART indicators
- Demonstrated ability in design and implementation of surveys and qualitative studies
- Proficiency in use of statistical packages (especially SPSS or STATA) is required and knowledge of data entry systems for quantitative data (Ms Access, CSPro, or others) is desirable
- Demonstrated ability to write high quality results-based and donor reports
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
Strong interpersonal and people’s management skills
How to Apply
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, CV and the names and contact information of three professional referees by 2nd December, 2016 via e-mail to. [email protected] Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The Aga Khan Foundation is an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network (www.akdn.org))