Our Client is the world’s largest humanitarian network that reaches 150 million people in 190 National Societies through the work of over 17 million volunteers. Their collective plan of action is to tackle the major humanitarian and development challenges of this decade – They are committed, in this fast-changing world, to ‘saving lives and changing minds’.They are looking for a Coordinator, Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting to join their team.
The PMER Unit Manager is responsible for performance-based management systems,including monitoring of business functions and technical support to monitor humanitarian and development impact. Furthermore, she/he will ensure the overall quality and effectivenessof the planning, evaluation and reporting systems in theregion. The post holder is therefore accountable for:
- To lead the production and monitor the delivery of regional annual and long term plans, working with the Executive Team and managers to co-ordinate all inputs and ensure a cohesive and consistent approach which enables the delivery of the strategic plan
- To develop a culture where by the organisation is able to challenge its performance in a proactive manner, and is able to demonstrate accountability for results, and support the organisation in managing change.
- To develop and maintain arrangements for meaningful performance management reporting which enable effective oversight of delivery against regional plans. Working in collaboration with senior managers across the organisation, develop performance management arrangements to support the delivery of the plan, and provide the executive team with the information needed to ensure the organisation operates effectively and efficiently.
- Support the Executive Team and senior managers in identifying and mitigating actions where the plan is not met to manage subsequent risks to the organisation.
- Ensure regional plans are owned by all teams, and remains the focus for planning and action and is evaluated accordingly.
Responsibilities for the Monitoring &Evaluation Manager Job
Design and maintain performance-based management systems, including:
- Review of the current corporate strategic objectives, strategies to assess effectiveness of the existing performance management framework.
- Provide recommendations to improve the performance managementframework.
- Assess KPI for business function and program for automation of data collection and analysis.
- Propose KPIs, ensure baseline data and annual targets where necessary.
- Develop ashboard to support assessment and learning around progress toward KPIs for the executive team totrack and to inform decision making.
- Ensure dissemination of results and continuous learning.
Maintain and improve current PMER systems and practices to ensure a quality results-based system for planning, learning and accountability
- Coordinate the annual planning and appeals process in the region to ensure compliance and
- Alignment with standards in plans and appeals, well written and presented information, and provide input and advice to improve coherence and quality.
- Ensure and support the development of project/programme logical frameworks according to guidelines with SMART indicators that are aligned with the Plan and Budget and program area indicators.
- Advise task forces on emergency appeals /(participate in task forces), oversee the timely development of emergency appeals and ensure the establishment of clear emergency plans of action with indicators and monitoring and evaluation plans.
Ensure monitoring and reporting of progress in accordance with common indicators and quality standards:
- Lead monitoring and reporting efforts in the regional office to comply with deadlines, partner expectations and standards.
- Assure quality control and final editing of all appeal-based documents and reports, ensuring
sound monitoring and evaluation practice are accurate, clear and informative.
- Support the development and implementation of monitoring and evaluation plans for all major IFRC programmes, that define indicators, datasources, data collection methods, frequency, and audience.
- Support the development of plans to evaluate impact of programs, provide technical guidance to National Societies, country and cluster offices, and lead evaluations related to large secretariat programs.
- Ensure and support the implementation of Wide Reporting System within the region.
Support enhanced capacity for PMER within the region:
- Maintain an overview of trends concerning planning, monitoring and evaluation practices.
- Identify partnerships that can enhance programmatic success, particularly through consultation and joint action around PMER.
- Support recruitment, development and evaluation of a sustainable network of technical officers across the region, in both delegations and National Societies.
- Identify and secure opportunities for National Societies to build PMER capacity
- Enhance corporate learning and capacity by providing regular feedback on performance, technical advice on organizational development and planning, monitoring and evaluation and opportunities for continuous learning.
- Provide technical advice and capacity-building support to National Societies and offices on the development and implementation of monitoring, evaluation and reporting systems, including the Federation-Wide Reporting System.
Support relevant networks and knowledge sharing processes:
- Provide input to the development of global quality standards and tools in the areas of planning, monitoring and evaluation and accountability, ensuring that the outcomes of reviews and evaluations are incorporated into policy discussions.
- Introduce and/or maintain appropriate PMER forums among the organization and its stakeholders, both partners and beneficiaries, to discuss and support quality programming and accountability standards.
- Support the sharing of findings and lessons learned from program M&E to improve over all organizational learning, especially the selection of future program interventions, as well as design and implementation. This includes liaison withexternal organizations to identify and disseminate good M&E practices in M&E and contribute to knowledge sharing.
- Disseminate policies, strategies, guidelines and procedures and, monitor adherence to them in the region, in particular the Evaluation Policy and the Federation-Wide Reporting System.
- Recruit and develop a team at the regional office.
- Ensure efficient and compliant management of PMER plan and budget.
- Represent the regional in internal and external forums were PMER is the focus.
- Promote a culture of performance and continuous learning within team.
- Be accountable to the team manager by providing progress reports on results against objectives and risk analysis.
- Be a pro-active team member displaying a customer service-oriented culture that values proactivity, continuous improvement, innovation, high performance and cost effectiveness.
- Actively work towards the achievement of the Secretariat’s goals.
- Abide by and work in accordance with the principles.
- Provide surge support within the Africa Region as needed.
Duties applicable to all staff
- Actively work towards the achievement of the Secretariat’s goals
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Organizations principles
- Perform any other work related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manager
Monitoring &Evaluation Manager Job Requirements
- University degree, or equivalent, in relevant discipline (International Relations, Humanitarian Affairs, etc.)
- Relevant post-graduate degree or MBA (or equivalent)
- Relevant professional training or relevant experience in monitoring, performance-based management, planning or evaluation.
- Fluently spoken and written English
- Good command of another language (French, Spanish or Arabic) or Russian
- Minimum of 5years work experience in the international sector, focused on humanitarian needs (education, health, disaster preparedness and response, etc.)
- Minimum of 3years work experiencededicated to monitoring, performance-based management, planning or evaluation Experience working in the developing countries
- Experience working in the AfricaRegion
- Work experience with an international organisation, large NGOs and/or govExperience of coordinating business planning and reporting processes across a complex organisation ernmental development agencies
- Substantial experience of developing, communicating and implementing business plans
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to lead and manage in a diverse cultural context
- Demonstrated capacity for analytical and strategic thinking
- Business administration skills
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills
- Excellent relationship building skills; ability to build and strengthen internal and external networks
- Budget and finance management
- Expertise in performance-based management, strategies and tools to monitor business systems and project work plans, methods for evaluation, and strategic planning processes
- Conducting and/or supervising needs assessments and surveys, data analysis
How to Apply
Applicants can send their CV and state the position applied for in their subject of the email to us via [email protected] before 30th Mar 2017. Applicants currently staying in Nairobi are encouraged to apply. Kindly do not apply if you do not meet minimum requirements.