The University of Capetown is inviting applications for MTN Solution Space Scholarships. These scholarships are open to African students for pursuing MBA or MPhil in Inclusive Innovation programme at the Graduate School of Business.
The Solution Space Scholarships were created to nurture a new generation of leaders that move beyond “business as usual” to envision, develop and test new models that will shape our future.
The overarching mission of the MTN Scholarship programme is to build exceptional leadership capacity in the technology, media and telecom sector, by providing excellent educational and training opportunities to individual Africans with leadership potential, as well as creating over time a network of next generation TMT leaders across the continent.
Applicants must first be eligible, comply with and apply for the MBA or MPhil programmes entrance requirements at the UCT Graduate School of Business.
Course Level: Scholarships are available for pursuing MBA or MPhil in Inclusive Innovation programme at the Graduate School of Business.
Study Subject: For the academic year 2016-2017 we will be offering scholarships to those passionate about:
- Education: How might we use digital technologies, adaptive learning tools and analytics to enable personalised learning that leads to improved learning outcomes for the majority in Africa? How can digital technologies, devices and blended learning pedagogy be used for impact in school environments?
- Health and Wellbeing: How might we use digital technologies to address challenges in Africa across healthcare, nutrition, mental health or safety and violence for the majority? How might data deliver more advanced tools for health prevention, participation, diagnosis and treatment?
- Smart Cities: How might we use the Internet of Things (IoT), civic tech and open data to address the challenges of urbanisation in African cities, such as traffic congestion, waste disposal and rising energy usage?
- Open Imagination: We are open to outside-of-the-box technology-enabled ideas. So if you believe you have an idea and project that we will want to hear about, submit your application under the category Open Imagination.
Scholarship Award: An MTN Scholarship is awarded for one or maximum of two years and covers the full cost of tuition and registration fees at UCT GSB, as set by the business school. The Scholars can also apply for several types of funding on a discretionary basis. For example an economy-class travel allowance for Scholars travelling from their home country to the business school at the beginning and back home at the end of their degree programme, a stipend, or to attend additional conferences or workshops, or conduct fieldwork and pilots.
Scholarship can be taken in South Africa
Eligibility: To be considered for an MTN Scholarship you must:
- Applicants must be a citizen of an African country and a Permanent Resident for at least 1 year.
- Apply to pursue either the MBA or the MPhil in Inclusive Innovation programme at the UCT GSB. Applicants will only be able to take up the MTN Scholarship if successfully admitted to the UCT GSB programme. For full details about the MBA programme or MPhil programme, criteria and how to apply to the business school click here
- Financial Need Criteria: Financial need must be illustrated as follows
- Full declaration of all details required must be recorded in the space provided on the Affidavit for the MTN Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town
- Details fo all property and assets of any nature must be declared on the Affidavit provided.
- UCT reserves the right to request that applicants furnish evidence of answers/statements on the application form. If it is found that the provided information is false or untrue, the University further reserves the right to disqualify an application and/or to cancel and recover any scholarship funds that may have been paid out to an awardee
Nationality: Citizens of African country can apply for these scholarships.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must first be eligible, comply with and apply for the MBA or MPhil programmes entrance requirements at the UCT Graduate School of Business.
How to Apply: Applicants must first be eligible and apply for the academic programme at the UCT GSB (via the Admissions Office).
- Applicants must submit the MTN Scholarship Application online form together with their UCT application number received from the UCT GSB Admissions Office. Required supporting documents include a CV and completed Affidavit.
- Applicants are then notified if they are selected for an interview.
- The final decision and award of the MTN Scholarship will be made by a Scholarship selection panel, following which applicants will be informed by mid-December 2015. Applicants will only be able to take up the MTN Scholarship if successfully admitted to the UCT GSB programme.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is 31 October 2016.