Mwalimu National Sacco Company Secretary Job,Salary over Ksh 200,000
Mwalimu National is the largest Sacco in the region with total assets in excess of 40 billion Kenya Shillings and is mandated to mobilize savings and give credit to its members.
The Society has sixteen (16) branches spread across Kenya with a membership of more than 82,000. Mwalimu National stands out as a leader in the Sacco Industry, a key and fast-growing player in the region’s financial services sector and a world-class co-operative financial institution.
The Society is an ISO 9001:2008 certified organization and was awarded the 1st runners up Financial Reporting (FiRe) Award under the Sacco Sector in the year 2017.
Mwalimu National is seeking to recruit a dynamic, ambitious, and result-oriented individual to join our team in our fast paced, modern work environment, to fill the following position:
Company Secretary / Head of Legal Department
The Company Secretary / Head of Legal Department will, report directly to the Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Board of Directors.
Job Purpose: To advise on legal compliance and corporate matters of the Sacco, identifying and managing legal risks, leading the compliance function and providing direction and focus while proactively advising and educating the organization on relevant legal issues.
Company Secretary Job Responsibilities
Specific duties and responsibilities will entail:
- Preparing and organizing Board meetings in compliance with all the laws, regulations and procedures.
- Preparing the Agenda, Board papers, Board minutes and other Board documents including notifications and ensuring that Board members receive the documentation for the meetings in a timely manner.
- Keeping safe custody of minutes of the Board, the common seal. and other Board documentation.
- Providing professional. guidance to the Sacco’s Board, Management and staff and ensuring compliance with the required standards of good corporate governance and good practices.
- Assisting the CEO in all legal matters pertaining to the Society.
- Planning, coordinating and overseeing legal advice and guidance given by the Legal office of the Society to the Board, management, and staff with a view of ensuring compliance with the Laws, regulations and procedures relevant to the mandate and operations of the Sacco.
- Drafting, reviewing and ensuring proper execution of all, legal documents for the society i.e. shareholder agreements, lease agreements, contracts etc.
- Preparing and ensuring compliance with all relevant statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Making arrangements for and managing the whole process of the Annual General Meeting and establishing with the Board’s agreement the items to be considered at the AGM.
- Registering Title Documents for the Society’s properties to ensure all properties are properly accounted for.
- Providing pro-active as well as consultative advisory services to senior management on legal matters, policies, procedures and suggest improvements.
- Communicating with and discussing perceived Legal challenges with the Board and CEO.
- Attending court cases for the Society as and when required.
- Facilitating/assisting in debt collection and legal actions for recoveries.
- Settling potential legal matters before going to court to reduce on costs and possible damage to the Society’s image and reputation.
- Liaising with external lawyers to facilitate progress for cases to ensure that all information necessary to the hearing of cases are available.
Key qualifications, knowledge and experience required:
For appointment to this grade, the candidate must have the following qualifications:
- A relevant Master’s degree from a recognized University.
- A Bachelor’s degree ¡n Law from a recognized University.
- Advocate of the High Court of Kenya.
- Registered Certified Public Secretary.
- A current Practicing Certificate.
- Ten (10) years’ experience in Company / Corporate Law / Legal affairs with at least three (3) years in managerial position.
- Experience in the banking / financial / savings and co-operatives sector is an added advantage.
Skills and Competencies:
- IT proficiency.
- Analytical skills.
- Project management.
- Conversant with the Kenya Laws.
- Management, organizational and leadership skills.
- Demonstrate ability to build cohesive teams and to achieve goals through team work.
- Decision Making.
- Demonstrate resilience and flexibility in a demanding and fast changing environment.
- Excellent relationship management, negotiation and networking skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strategic Orientation.
How to Apply
Interested persons are invited to send their application letters, updated CV, copies of academic certificates and testimonials to the undersigned on or before Friday, 4th May 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The Chief Executive Officer Mwalimu National P.O Box 62641-00200 City Square, Nairobi.
OR e-mail: [email protected]
Mwalimu is an equal opportunity employer and shall not in its recruitment discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, ethnic origin, political affiliation, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, disability, health or social status.
Mwalimu National is regulated by SASRA.