The National Authority for the Campaign against Alcohol and Drug Abuse (NACADA) was established vide an Act of Parliament in July 2012, and mandated to coordinate a multi-sectoral effort aimed at preventing, controlling and mitigating the impact of alcohol and drug abuse in Kenya.
NACADA wishes to a recruit dynamic, result-oriented and self-driven Kenyan citizen to fill the following vacant position:
Ref No: NAC/CS/02/15
Job Grade: NAC 9
Reporting to: Chief Executive Officer
Duty Station: Nairobi
- Provide guidance to the Board on their duties and responsibilities and on matters of Governance and how these should be exercised in the best interest of the Authority.
- Ensure that Board procedures be followed and reviewed regularly and that the Board complies with the Laws, rules and regulations
- Assisting the Chairperson in organizing Board activities, including providing information, preparing agenda, issuing notices and preparing for the meetings, board evaluations and board developments programs
- Providing secretarial services to the board including ensuring that the Board works plan is prepared and adhered to, circulating board papers in advance of the meeting, keeping a record of attendance at meeting, keeping safe custody of the seal and a record of its usage and preparing the Board for annual general meetings where applicable.
- Ensuring that the minutes of the Board and Board committees are promptly prepared and circulated
- Keeping the Board abreast of and informed on current governance thinking and practice
- Co-ordinating the governance audit process
- Provide strategic leadership to the Legal Services Department and safe custody of charged documents and suits.
- Ensure proper interpreting of legal instruments and statutes, full compliance with the Law, legislative issues, policy and procedures.
- Participating in negotiating, drawing, reviewing and vetting of contracts, leases, and other legal instruments / documentation to assist and support various business transactions and activities.
- Provide legal protection and risk management advice to management especially on contract management, employee relations and other activities that have a bearing on legal matters.
- Developing concept papers, preparing legal briefs and opinions as well as developing effective defense strategies, arguments and testimonies in preparation for legal proceedings of cases.
- Representing the Authority in litigation or legal suits filed by or against the Authority and also liaising with external lawyers on court cases.
- Conduct legal research, investigation, preparation of witnesses for pre-trial and hearing.
Qualification and Competencies
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law (LLB)
- Master’s Degree and postgraduate qualifications will be an added advantage.
- Advocate of the High Court of Kenya.
- Member of the Institute of certified Public Secretaries of Kenya with good standing.
- Member of the Law Society of Kenya.
- Must possess excellent inter-personal, presentation communication skills (English and Swahili) in oral and written.
- Excellent writing and computer skills
How to Apply
Candidates should forward their applications by post, courier or hand-delivery, enclosing current and detailed CV, copies of academic and professional certificates, day time telephone contacts, current and expected remuneration, notice period required to take up the appointment if successful, and names, addresses and emails of (3) three professional referees.
All applications MUST have the job reference number clearly marked on the envelope so as to reach the undersigned not later than Friday August 21 , 2015.
The Chief Executive Officer,
National Authority for the Campaign against Alcohol and Drug Abuse,
NSSF Building, Block A, Eastern Wing, 18th Floor,
P.O. Box 10774-00100 GPO,
NACADA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Youth, Women and Persons with Disabilities are particularly encouraged to apply.
Any form of canvassing will lead to disqualification.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Need someone to talk to on alcohol & drugs? Call our helpline number 1192, free of charge