Director, Accreditation and Quality Assurance (DAQA)
STIC Grade 13Re-advertised
Ref. NACOSTI/DAQA/STIC 13/2015 JULY
The National Commission for Science, Technology and Innovation (NACOSTI) is a State Corporation established under the Science, Technology and Innovation Act of 2013.
The Commission is a Statutory Agency mandated to regulate and assure quality in the Science, Technology and Innovation sector and advise, promote and coordinate on all matters relating to Science, Technology, Innovation and Research issues necessary for proper co-ordination and economic developments of the Country.
To achieve this mandate the Commission advertised several positions in March 2015 for key vacant positions. However, the Commission has found it necessary to re-advertise the above position. Those who had applied earlier are free to re-apply.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Director, Accreditation and Quality Assurance Services (DAQA will be the Head of Accreditation and Quality Assurance Division and will be responsible to the Director General/CEO in carrying out the following duties and responsibilities:
- Planning and executing the activities of the Division
- Receiving and processing applications for registration
- Setting out standards as stipulated in the third schedule of the science, technology and innovation regulations
- Determining eligibility for Accreditation as set out in the accreditation criteria
- Registering, licensing, and regulating researchers in the scheduled sciences
- Inspecting, monitoring and evaluating research institutions and programmes to verify their relevance and compliance to quality assurance
- Initiating the vetting of applications for registration and accreditation
- Updating the database for accredited and registered institutions, bodies and individuals
- Making recommendations for the registration and accreditation of institutions, bodies and individuals in accordance with the established criteria
- Recommending de-registration or withdrawal of accreditation in the event of non-compliance
- Working closely with accredited researchers to interpret the criteria for registration and accreditation
- Providing advice to institutions, individuals and stakeholders regarding accreditation matters
- Enforcing licensing regulations by informing non-compliant institutions, individuals and other stakeholders of the required regulations and advice regarding licensing policies, procedures and regulations
- Developing and strengthening monitoring, inspection and evaluation procedures
- Supporting quality assurance to ensure compliance with applicable regulatory requirements such as research reviews, conducting quality audits and maintaining quality databases and data analysis
- Documenting internal audits and other quality assurance activities
- Reviewing and revising policies, rules and procedures that affect licensing, registration and accreditation
- Earned PhD degree in any of the following areas of specialization (Science Schedules): Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences; Physical, Industrial and Energy Sciences; Biological and Health Sciences; Infrastructure, Information and Communication Sciences; Humanities and Social Sciences; Earth and Space Sciences, as defined in the Science, Technology and Innovation (ST&I) Act (2013).
- In addition the candidate should have eight (8) years of post-doctoral research experience and management or similar experience as head of technical division in a research institution, public or private institution.
- Demonstrable experience in Quality Assurance, Monitoring and Evaluation and Accreditation will be an added advantage
- Scientific writing and publishing
- Proficiency in statistical analysis
- ICT proficiency
- Interpersonal communication
- Policy analysis
- Strategic planning
- Corporate governance
- Quality assurance and standardization
- Team player
How to Apply
Interested Candidates who meet the requirements are invited to send their applications enclosing copies of updated Curriculum Vitae, Academic and Professional Certificates.Additionally, they should provide names of three (3) referees one of whom must be an immediate or past supervisor.
A copy of National Identity Card, details of Remuneration history and Current contact MUST be provided.
Candidates shortlisted for interview for the two (2) posts of Directors (STIC 13) must further submit the following:
Certificate of Good Conduct from the Criminal Investigations Department (CID)
Clearance letter from Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
Tax compliance Certificate from Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA)
Report from an approved Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
Clearance by the Ethics and Anti Corruption Commission (EACC)
NB: – Candidates with Degrees from Universities outside Kenya must submit a Certificate of Equation and Recognition from the Commission for University Education (CUE).
The successful Candidates for the positions of Directors – STIC Grade 13, will be engaged on a five (5) years Contract renewable for one further term of equivalent period.
Application MUST clearly indicate the Reference Number of the Vacancy and should be sent either by post to:The Director General / CEO
National Commission for Science, Technology and Innovation
P.0 Box 30623 – 00100
Nairobi, KenyaOR Hand delivered to Utalii House, Utalii Lane, off Uhuru Highway, 9th Floor, Rooni 902, to be received by 26th August, 2015.
The National Commission for Science, Technology and Innovation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified Kenyans are encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Note: Canvassing Will lead to automatic disqualification.