Nairobi Waldorf School
Job Title: Assistant Kindergarten Class Teacher
Reporting to: Faculty Chair, Nairobi Waldorf Schools
Background: The Nairobi Waldorf School – – was founded in 1992.
Our school has established a nurturing and growing community, which shares the simple vision of raising our children holistically in true consciousness and love, with the goal of enabling them to contribute towards establishing a more peaceful and sustainable Kenya and Global community.
- preparing a school-year calendar
- preparing and presenting daily lesson plans for children ages 4 to 6, including the use of story time with puppetry, a short circle including finger-play…and a healthy snack
- guiding student activities and providing on-going support
- assessing and responding to the evolving needs of the children in the class
- preparing, completing and compiling children’s progress report in a well structure and timely manner for the Administrative Assistant to file them
- providing and maintaining a healthy, home-like environment both inside and in the school garden
- when on duty, ensure that students who are not picked up in a timely manner are well cared for, for their duration on the school grounds; while making sure that repetitive cases are handled so that children staying on school grounds after pickup time remains exceptional
- introducing students and their families to Waldorf education
- interviewing prospective students and their families to assess the appropriateness of Waldorf education for the student and to convey an understanding of the principles and methods of Waldorf education to parents
- educating parents about early childhood development
- Gathering and distributing to parents pertinent articles that support and elaborate Waldorf early childhood development and philosophy
- addressing parent questions and concerns regarding parenting and child development
- planning and conducting at least 3 parent meetings during the school year, to include craft or artistic activities and study of a book, article, or relevant topics
- Helping parents form and conduct groups to study the principles of Waldorf education and the needs of children
- facilitating the support of Waldorf education through the use of Waldorf principles in home life
- coordinating and participating in school festivals
- participating in school outreach events
- working with other early childhood staff and Faculty to assess the needs for and development of programmes to meet the needs of families with young children
- attending Faculty meetings (early childhood and full) to address pedagogical, curriculum, and school management issues
- Supervising and meeting one hour per week with the assistant teacher
- serving in Faculty management positions when nominated
- serving on school committees when nominated
- contributing to administration and management tasks
- Preparing an annual procurement plan for teaching material, class repair or improvements…
- abiding by decisions of the Faculty and the Board of Trustees
- attending the annual General Assembly meeting
- being available the last two weeks in August for student interviews, facility preparation and Faculty meetings as scheduled.
- working with and meeting with a mentor
- participating in an annual self-evaluation and performance appraisal process
- developing personally through an ongoing study of Anthroposophy
- At least Diploma in ECDE
- Certificate/Diploma in Waldorf/Steiner Teaching Primary (Desirable)
- 3 years’ experience in classroom teaching.
- Ability to paint and good in story telling will be an added advantage.