NCCK, an umbrella organization for Protestant Churches and Christian Organizations registered in Kenya, invites applications from interested and suitably qualified candidates to fill the following position:
Field Officer, Agronomist – Upper Eastern Region, Meru
Ref: FOA – UERM
The position is responsible for supporting the implementation of NCCK’s Programme in Conservation Agriculture project based in Tharaka Nithi County, NCCK Upper Eastern Region, provides technical support in the development, implementation, management, administration, monitoring, assessment and evaluation.
This position involves field travel most of the time.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitate the involvement of the membership structures within the Region in the Council’s activities
- In consultation with the Regional Coordinator, facilitate the implementation and monitoring of programme activities within the region
- Undertake assigned specific programme activities at regional level.
- Prepare periodic regional work plans and reports.
- Identify participants for NCCK leadership training and workshops in consultation with the Regional Coordinator
- Follow-up and coordinate beneficiaries of NCCK initiatives in the Region.
- Facilitate the empowerment of the Membership and communities within the region to identify their needs, mobilize their resources and resolve their problems
- Assist the Regional Coordinator in fundraising for programme work within the Region
- Specific Duties related to CA
- Participate in baseline survey for target community during the conservation agriculture (CA) project start-up phase.
- Organize and lead CA training programs for Extension Officers, Lead Farmers, Staff and follow-up after training to monitor progress.
- Assist in design and implementation of CA community extension approach
- Assist lead CA farmers in planning for and executing Farmer Field Schools
- To liaise with Ministry of Agriculture officials at the ward, sub county and county levels.
- To provide technical advice and leadership in the implementation of the CA project.
- Conduct extension visits to lead CA farmers and provide mentorship.
- Raise activity, monthly, quarterly and annual reports on the CA project
- Monitor progress of different crops in CA plots
- Assist in selection and recruitment of CA households for CA projects
- Assist in insect, weed and disease monitoring and diagnostics
- Assist in periodical monitoring and evaluation of CA project.
- Organize and facilitate execution of field exhibitions on CA.
- Assist in development and planning of radio programs on CA
- Assist in ensuring participation of all genders and age groups in CA project activities
- Undertake any other duties as may be assigned by the Regional Coordinator from time to time.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture or in any other relevant field
- Special training in conservation agriculture will be an added advantage.
- Two years post qualification experience in social science related work
- Excellent analytical, communication and writing skills.
- Excellent facilitation training skills and in using participatory learner centred methods.
- Ability to manage programmes, set priorities and plan for the successful implementation of programmes.
- Excellent IT skills (Microsoft Excel and Word essential).
- Skills in resource mobilization and networking
- Working experience with churches and communities
- Ability to multitask
How to Apply
Qualified and interested candidates should download the NCCK Job Application Form (CLICK HERE to Download), fill it out and send it via email to [email protected] before 4.00 p.m. on 2nd October 2015.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.