Reference Number: ARO-08062017
OVERALL JOB PURPOSE:
To support research within an international collaborative project on interventions towards reducing post-hospital discharge mortality. The post will involve assisting with the Kenyan social science sub-study for this project, with a focus on the Nairobi site. The post holder will work with senior colleagues to conduct relevant literature review and empiric work including interview work. The post will also require developing qualitative study methods and supervising a small team of fieldworkers to collect data. The post holder will also assist with management and analysis of data, and developing written outputs. S/he will also participate in related training activities and study workshops or meetings. The post holder will contribute to wider social science research activities within the KWTRP and related research networks.</p>
REPORTS TO: Study Supervisor
DIRECTLY SUPERVISES: Field workers
INDIRECTLY SUPERVISES: Data entry clerks
BUDGET AND RESOURCE RESPONSIBILITY:Responsible for a laptop computer, study phone, and one or more digital voice recorders used in this work; and petty cash budgets
- To contribute to the development of research proposals as needed, including through reviewing literature and synthesising learning from reviews and audits.
- To support, and in designated instances take primary responsibility for; community sensitization, stakeholder engagement, data collection, including supporting the development of qualitative data collection tools, supporting planning for field work, and managing all interactions with study participants in ways that positively support ethical conduct and the collection of high quality data. Given the nature of the study, fieldwork might sometimes necessitate weekend work.
- To contribute to the analysis of data from the study, and take primary responsibility for analysis in designated areas.
- To support dissemination of study findings as necessary, including through the preparation of drafts of reports and a manuscript for publication; making presentations at scientific meetings; and supporting feedback to study participants.
- To actively contribute to developing their own capacity in social science and related research methods, particularly for qualitative research. This includes engaging with a wide literature on relevant topics and social science methods, active participation in trainings provided and focused efforts to continuously seek and act on feedback on performance.
- Where indicated, provide training and support to other research team members / collaborating partners in areas within these responsibilities.
- To attend departmental and programme scientific meetings, including regular meetings of the Social Science Group.
- And any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- An undergraduate degree in a relevant subject such as Social Science & Humanities, Public Health, Nursing, or equivalent from a recognized institution
- At least 1 year of research experience, ideally including experience in collecting and analysing qualitative research data
- Computer literacy with proficiency in Microsoft applications
- A keen interest in social science and health research
- Good planning, organisation and co-ordination skills
- Good analytical and follow through ability
- Experience in qualitative research methods (data collection and analysis)
- High levels of fluency in written and spoken English and Kiswahili
- Ability to take and follow instructions, initiative, keen to learn and proactive with the ability to work under minimal supervision
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Flexibility, adaptability, multi-tasking and attention to detail
- Conscientiousness, timeliness and willingness to work to meet deadlines
- Confidentiality and integrity
- Team working and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment