NGO Assistant Research Officer Jobs in Kenya,Salary over Ksh75,000
Reference Number: ARO120418
Employment Type: Full time
Category: Clinical Healthcare and Research
Job Grade: 6.01
The main purpose of this job will be thawing malaria parasites previously frozen in liquid nitrogen, extracting DNA and then quantifying parasite and human DNA in these samples. Additionally, the job holder will be expected to assist in arranging shipment of DNA samples to the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute for whole genome sequencing.
- The Principal Investigators
BUDGET AND RESOURCE RESPONSIBILITY:
- The post holder will be the custodian of all laboratory reagents and materials procured for use during the project.
This is a short term (six months) post that will involve undertaking laboratory work related to the 1000 P. falciparum genomes project. The post primarily involves thawing P. falciparum parasites, extracting DNA from the parasites and carrying out quantitative Real Time PCR to determine human DNA contamination in the samples. Additional extraction of parasite DNA from fresh samples collected during a prospective arm of the study will also be required.
- Retrieving samples stored in liquid nitrogen freezers.
- Thawing parasites from the liquid nitrogen
- DNA extraction
- Quantitative Real Time PCR
- Analysis of Real Time PCR data
- Aliquoting and freezing DNA samples
- Packing and arranging shipment of DNA samples to the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute for whole genome sequencing.
- A Degree from an accredited institution in molecular biology, biochemistry or related field.
- At least one year experience in a relevant post or equivalent
- Demonstrable knowledge of malaria genetics.
SKILLS & COMPETENCE:
- Understanding and exposure to Good Laboratory Practices.
- Excellent organisational skills for overseeing record keeping.
- Knowledge of working with malaria parasites, e.g. culturing parasites.
- Knowledge of DNA extraction techniques and principles.
- Practical or theoretical knowledge of the basic principles of Real Time PCR.
- Training in working with liquid nitrogen
- Flexible work schedule with ability to work outside normal hours.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work productively with colleagues
- Based at the KEMRI/Wellcome Trust Research programme in Kilifi.