NGO Communications Jobs in Kenya
More than 80 years after Albert Einstein helped create the International Rescue Committee, the number and intensity of humanitarian crises across the globe warrant a dose of Einstein-inspired vision.
Every month, nearly one million people flee their homes because of conflicts or natural disasters. With few wars ending, and new wars starting, the number of people displaced by conflict has reached nearly 60 million, the most since World War II. Their growing and increasingly complex needs mandate a transformation-a creative rethinking-in the global humanitarian response.
As a key member of the IRC’s Global Communications Team, the Senior Officer, Global Communications will develop and execute communications strategies related to the IRC’s work in IRC’s Africa Regions (as well as Yemen). In turn, s/he will help to position the IRC as a global thought and practice leader.
The Senior Officer will lead and collaborate IRC communications efforts within a set portfolio and surge into crisis projects as needed, convening and leading multiple departments and stakeholders to deliver breakthrough communications results.
This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya, with frequent travel within Africa. The Senior Officer will act as a spokesperson as needed.
Communications Job Responsibilities
- Convene, collaborate with, and lead a dynamic range of IRC teams across Africa Regions to develop and implement communications strategies that drive awareness of the IRC’s impact and advocacy, enhancing the IRC’s reputation, supporting fundraising objectives, and influencing target policy makers.
- Work with (and persuade) internal stakeholders, including communications team-members, field teams, advocates, fundraisers, and technical experts to facilitate and support dynamic communications tactics, including innovative media outreach, top tier op-eds, creative digital content and dynamic, audienc-driven social media output.
- Deliver strategic proactive and reactive media relations, leveraging global insights and expertise in both international and humanitarian media to increase the IRC’s media share of voice and digital engagement.
- Deploy excellent writing skills to deliver pitches that land IRC-led features, high-level IRC messages for cross-organizational use, top tier landing op-eds, and talking points for spokespeople.
- Represent the IRC as a spokesperson to external and internal audiences, both via media interviews and contributing to digital content.
- Partner with in house and external experts to produce Digital Content and Communications outputs that are integrated to strategic objectives, aligned to clear distribution, and measurement, working closely with digital communication technical specialists.
- Gather content through multiple digital mediums — photo, video, audio etc. — using industry standard practices and equipment.
- Contribute to quarterly reports on media coverage and content results using industry standard metrics and bench-marking.
- Strengthen / develop internal systems and processes to deliver on communications objectives.
- Coordinate and lead crisis and emergency communications, including high profile field visits and high-speed content gathering.
- Deliver and lead executive communications for IRC leaders, including the CEO, as needed.
- Expand and nurture IRC’s communications network.
Qualifications for the Communications Job
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, international affairs or related field Work Experience:
- Minimum: Six to eight years of professional experience in communications, preferably with a focus on international affairs or issues that cross with the humanitarian sector.
- The Communications Senior Officer must demonstrate a flexible approach and ability to navigate ambiguity, as well as multiple projects and competing priorities at once.
- S/he must be able to balance partnership with various departments and creative, breakthrough communications efforts.
- Also, able to work effectively, efficiently, diplomatically and calmly in a high-pressure environment on issues that are often complex and politically sensitive.
- S/he will have deep knowledge and experience of working successfully with major global media.
- Experience in producing and editing, under tight-deadlines, accurate and dynamic communications materials, including press-releases, op-eds, talking points and digital content.
- Record of creativity in developing compelling content, and creative pursuit of targets in achievement of communications objectives across different channels (media, social, web etc.)
- Excellent capability and creativity using digital cameras and audio gathering tools and editing suites.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
IRC et les employés de IRC doivent adhérer aux valeurs et principes contenus dans le IRC WAY (normes de conduite professionnelle). Ce sont l’Intégrité, le Service, et la Responsabilité. En conformité avec ces valeurs, IRC opère et fait respecter les politiques sur la protection des bénéficiaires contre l’exploitation et les abus, la protection de l’enfant, le harcèlement sur les lieux de travail, l’intégrité financière, et les représailles.
How to Apply
Please follow this link to apply: https://rescue.csod.com/ats/careersite/jobdetails.aspx?site=1&c=rescue&id=557&source=reliefweb