United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply
Deadline for Applications: 24 November 2016
Date of Issuance: 11 November 2016
Functional Title: Driver
Duration of Contract: One (01) Year Fixed Term
Vacancy Announcement Number: SEMG/ADM/071/2016
Special Notice: This position is funded for an initial period of one year, extension of appointment will be subject to
budgetary approval. Appointment against this post is on a local basis. The candidate is responsible for any travel expenses incurred in order to take-up the appointment.
All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply on-line as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening.
Interested applicants who are working with UN Contractors must fulfil the obligations of their contracts with
the UN Contractors in order to be eligible to apply for this vacancy.
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships: This position is located in the Administration Unit in UNON, Nairobi field Office. Incumbent reports to Supervisor of the Unit.
Within limits of delegated authority the Driver will be responsible for the following duties:
- Drives vehicles safely for the transport of authorised personnel and for the transport of general cargo goods.
- Makes deliveries of parcels, documents, etc., between the office and other offices and institutions, e.g. Ministries, Embassies, Permanent Missions, etc.
- Makes minor purchases and collect urgent purchases from local suppliers as requested. Collect goods from the customs with due regard to customs regulations and formalities. May make or collect payment for goods.
- Meets the experts of the Somalia/Eritrea Monitoring Team and other UN officials at the airport.
- Deals effectively and tactfully with officials and visitors.
- Takes care of the day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicles, check oil, water, battery, brakes, tires, etc.; perform minor repairs and arranges for other repairs and ensures that vehicle is kept clean.
- Logs fuel consumption, maintenance etc.
- Maintains files on all correspondence on the maintenance of the vehicle.
- Ensures that the steps required by rules and regulations are taken in case of accident.
- Applies good judgment in the context of assignments given.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Work implies interaction with the following: Experts of the Somalia/Eritrea Monitoring Team (SEMG), Team Assistants of the office; embassies, ministries, consulates, other international organizations and NGOs etc.
Results Expected: Ensures that driving assignments are carried out safely and on time. Uses discretion, initiative and judgment in planning and scheduling routes, in conjunction with the daily transport needs of the SEMG.
Professionalism – Knowledge of general office and administrative support including administrative policies,
processes and procedures. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional
competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments,
observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns;
shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by
genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before
personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may
not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for
Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority
activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and
resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and
adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent. Driver training with a valid driver’s license.
Experience: Experience as a driver with a safe driving record. Experience in driving a variety of makes and
models of vehicles, including vans and other kinds of motorised vehicles.
Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of other United Nations language is an advantage.
Assessment Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed Method: by competency-based interview.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates may submit their applications including their United Nations Personal History form (P.11) to the address mentioned below on or before the deadline. The P.11 is on the https://unsos.unmissions.org/jobs. Applications submitted after the 24 November 2016 will not be accepted. CVs will not be accepted. Email: recruitment-uns[email protected] Please quote, Vacancy Announcement Number and Functional Title in the subject of the e-mail The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, or training). Please Note: Vacancy Announcement Number: SEMG/ADM/035/2016 has been cancelled and replaced by this one