ILRI vacancy: Driver/Mechanic (closing date: 19 June 2018)
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit Driver/Mechanic to provide quality transport services.
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to improve food and nutrition security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional and country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. http://www.ilri.org
ILRI hosts the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) in Nairobi (www.irri.org) with its headquarters in Los Baños, Laguna in the Philippines. IRRI is the world’s premier research organization dedicated to reducing poverty and hunger through rice science; improving the health and welfare of rice farmers and consumers; and protecting the rice-growing environment for future generations.
- Ensure the comfort and safety of IRRI Staff, VIPs, visitors, assets and documents by providing quality transport services through strict and proper adherence to traffic rules and regulations
- Abide to and monitor occupational health, safety requirements and dutifully check roadworthiness and safety check-up of assigned IRRI vehicle before each and every trip.
- Proactively respond to requests from internal and external stakeholders to maintain high-level service delivery
- Submit duly accomplished and updated reports, monitoring sheets and log books to ensure that the vehicle documents (i.e. registration and fitness) and licenses are up-to-date and that all damages and other unusual vehicular conditions are addressed
- Ensure that overtime sheet is approved by supervisor regularly
- Ensure that the vehicles are clean and presentable and all necessary tools are on-board.
- Provide routine maintenance and repairs to IRRI vehicles
- Provide basic office, administrative and logistical support to ensure smooth operations in the IRRI Kenya Office
- Minimum of Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE)
- Minimum 5 years of Professional driving experience of light and heavy vehicles
- Must have a clean and valid Kenya Driver’s license
- Hands-on experience in maintaining repairing vehicles
- Must have a valid certificate of good conduct
- Knowlede of defensive driving is an added advantage
- Good knowledge of spoken and written English and Kiswahili languages
- Good interpersonal skills and aiblity to relate well with diverse culture
- Reliable and ability to work effectively and respectfully
Terms of Appointment
These are Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position; based at Nairobi, Kenya and open to Kenyan nationals only. The position is on a 2-year Fixed Term contract
This position is job level 1B level 3, ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; pension, medical and other insurances for ILRI’s Nationally Recruited Staff.
How to apply: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development through our recruitment portal http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 19 June 2018. The position title and reference number REF: SAA/IRRI/2018 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
To find out more about ILRI, visit our websites at http://www.ilri.org/
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer.