NGO Finance Intern in Kenya
Requisition ID: req1812
Job Title: Finance Intern – Nairobi (Somalia Program)
Employment Category: Intern
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: Kenya-Nairobi (Somalia CP)
The International Rescue Committee has been working in Somalia since 2006, providing essential services to conflict and disaster affected communities. The IRC has been operational in Central Somalia (Mudug and Galgadud regions) and Mogadishu implementing interventions in the areas of livelihood, WASH and health reaching out to more than 200,000 conflict and drought affected people.
Summary of Responsibility:
IRC Somalia is working to achieve optimal performance in terms of program quality strengthening operations and finance department by emerging tools, systems and staff capacity to adhere to IRC policies and procedures and donor compliance.
- Maintain both KES and USD petty cash at the set limits; take responsibility of any cash differences arising.
- Ensure that all petty cash payments are properly supported and duly authorized per the IRC delineation schedule before disbursement.
- Ensuring that authorizations on the payments requests are in line with the approved limits per the delineation chart.
- Prepare the petty cash spreadsheets to upload stage ready for review by the FM prior to upload in SUN system.
- Devise a cash replenishment schedule to minimize weekly bank visits.
- Ensure all cash received is duly receipted and coded and promptly banked.
- Maintaining the receipt book and ensuring that authorized receipts are issued upon receipt of monies.
- Prior to filing, ensure that all documents have been stamped ‘PAID’ including the cash payment reference no. details.
- Maintain an organized and well-documented (all files must be labeled properly and visibly) and sequential filing system for all cash disbursement vouchers.
- Preparation of excel and SUN journals, ensuring these are fully supported and ready for review by 17th by the FC/CD.
Accounting & Reporting
- Assist in Preparation of Monthly Balance Sheet schedules as assigned. Make sure all items in the balance sheet account are current and can be supported. Follow-up on any adjustments to be made.
- Assist in the preparation of accruals at grant close out.
- Preparation of corrective journals and assisting in loading of journals as and when required.
Tax and statutory deductions
- Ensure that Withholding tax remittance is done by the 20th of the month following deduction.
- Ensure that the withholding tax certificates are issued on monthly basis in a timely manner.
- Ensure that PAYE, NSSF and NHIF is remitted by the 9th of the next month.
- Ensure that all other payroll deductions (HELB, Life Insurance, and Pension) are remitted to the respective institutions by the 9th of the next month.
- Providing adequate support as required by auditors, other departments and third parties in the retrieval of required documents.
- Ensuring donor regulations are adhered to for all aspects of the operations
- Regular and open communication with IRC staff from all departments.
- Minimum CPA II qualification. University degree is an added advantage
- Knowledge in Excel and other computer applications.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.