Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Dimensions of Role:
The post holder will be based in the Country Office, Nairobi and will report to the Country Finance Manager. S/he will uphold Plan’s Core Values, promote our mission and vision, programme principles (transparency, gender equality and diversity) to enhance programme impact, and be committed to child protection and respect for human rights.
Grants Accountant Job Key Responsibilities:
- Perform grant-related post-award functions, including budget and expense analysis, periodic invoicing, financial reporting, labour distribution changes, reconciliations, re-budgeting and grant closeout functions.
- Review all transactions processed in the SAP to ensure that they are accurate and comply with Plan procedures and donor requirements
- Work with Program Managers/Project Manager, Grants and Contracts Coordinator and appropriate Country Office staff in the development of forecast and budget revisions for projects
- Together with the respective Project Managers, prepare accurate financial reports on timely basis
- Prepare monthly budget verse actual report, in donor currency, for assigned projects and highlight variances to respective budget holders and ensure corrective action is taken.
- Process invoices and cost recovery journals for all grant funded projects.
- Review balance sheets accounts reconciliations and ensure timely resolution of reconciling items.
- Review payment vouchers and other journals to ensure proper coding and completeness per required financial standards
- Maintain accurate grant financial records, prepare accurate financial reports and full cost recovery on all grants including maintaining timesheets.
- Train project staff on Plan policies and procedures, SAP, and financial accounting to CBOs and Partners to ensure compliance and improvement of their capacity.
- Ensure proper co-ordination with Sub-recipients /Sub-grants / local implementing partners and build their capacity where need be in assuring office risk is minimized due to non-compliance with donor regulations.
- Ensure timely disbursement of funds to sub-recipients/partners, process liquidation of partner advances and reporting of the same
- Prepare monthly grants and expense verification report
Dealing with Problems:
- The post holder will demonstrate a high degree of analytical skills, planning, organizational and facilitation while introducing innovations needed to meet the demands of the operating environment.
Communications and Working Relationships:
- Internal – High Contact:
- Country Finance Manager
- Senior Grants and Contracts Coordinator
- Grant funded Project Managers
- Respective Program Managers
- Procurement team
- External Auditors
- Community Based Organizations/Partners
- Respective Financial Institutions
Knowledge, Skills, Behaviors, and Experience for Grants Accountant Job
- CPA (K) or other professional qualification in accounting
- Bachelors Degree in Finance/Accounting related courses
- At least 5 years relevant grant accounting experience preferably in NGO
- Well versed in computerised accounting applications.
- At least 2 years’ experience at management level.
- Thorough knowledge of finance processes, systems and principles.
- Previous experience in working with large donor grants and good knowledge of the donor environment
Skills specific to the post:
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong facilitation and training skills
- Good administration and effective communication skills
- Ability to work and interact with others at all levels
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Ability to manage and promote high performing teams
- Use of computer skills
Competencies and values:
- Respect, integrity, diversity, commitment to excellence, adaptability, able to perform under stress, innovation, building relationships, communicating effectively, coaching and mentoring, developing and working in teams, initiating action, planning and organizing.
- Commitment to Plan International’s mission and values.
- Promote and abide by Plan policies and procedures including but not limited to: Gender equality mainstreaming, Child Protection Policy; Code of
- Conduct and the related mandatory reporting responsibilities.
How to Apply
Click here to apply