NGO Health Related Jobs in Kenya,Salary over Ksh70,000
Reference Number: LSH-IAVI-2017
Category: Clinical Healthcare and Research
JOB PURPOSE:The IAVI-HIV clinical research laboratory supports ongoing HIV-1 vaccine feasibility studies in Mtwapa, including observational cohort studies of risk factors for HIV-1/STI acquisition, an acute HIV-1 infection study (Tambua Mapema Trial supported by the NIH), and will prepare for a Phase II HIV-1 vaccine study supported by Oxford (GREAT trial) in 2018 Research of both T-cell and B-cell immunology and viral diversity in volunteers with acute HIV infection will be done in collaboration with investigators within the research group. The post holder will manage the IAVI-HIV research laboratory.
The post reports to the Principal Investigator
The position holder will be based in the KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Laboratories and will also support the KEMRI clinic lab in Mtwapa
- Lead and direct HIV/AIDS research laboratory activities, including programmatic work, prepare for HIV-1 phase II vaccine study, ensure enrolment in quality assurance programmes of various trials.
- Contribute actively to HIV/AIDS, and STI epidemiology research protocols, with special emphasis on the laboratory analytical plan, budgeting and ensuring purchasing of reagents.
- Provide quality HIV diagnotstic, serology, X-pert quality and quantity assays and clinical laboratory services for epidemiology research
- Involved in sample processing, storage, shipment and completion of necessary documentation according to GCLP standards
- Support research activities by carrying out experiments such as ELISPOT assays
- Ensure adherence to KEMRI-WT bio-safety standards and implementation of quality control processes
- A Higher Diploma or Degree in Biomedical Science or its equivalent
- Registered with the Kenya Medical Laboratory Technicians and Technologists Board (KMLTTB)
- At least 7 years experience in a medical laboratory, preferably HIV experience, with 5 years in a supervisory position
- Knowledge of current laboratory facilities and best practices in lab operations, methods, equipment, materials and ability to perform standardized biological, chemical and microbiological examinations independently
- Advanced understanding of GCLPs, regulatory/accreditation agency requirements
- Excellent computer literacy and proficiency in Microsoft Applications
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE
- Able to work independently and to prioritise work
- Good budgetary skills
- Good communicator and team player
Post holder will be:
- Sensitive that vulnerable populations need special support, and access to HIV prevention and care