Job Title: Help Desk IT Technician
Name: New hire
Location: Nairobi with frequent travel within East Africa and Canada and any other region assigned.
Reports To: Country Director / Associate Director, IT
Job description: Your job description is as follows, and may change from time to time at the discretion of the Management:
Are you a self-motivated and driven IT professional who enjoys a challenge and loves solving problems?
Do you want help great people and drive innovation?
Free The Children empowers youth to fulfill their potential to be agents of change. Through our organization’s unique youth-driven approach, more than two million young people have been involved in our innovative programs in more than 45 countries.
Founded by international rights activist Craig Kielburger, Free The Children has an established track-record of success, with three nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize and partnerships with the United Nations, and Oprah’s Angel Network.
In 2012 Free The Children, was awarded Canada’s Top Employer for Young People for our amazing opportunities for young employees!
The candidate should have a minimum of 2-4 years of work experience, including experience troubleshooting printers and computers. He or she must be a problem solver in the field of all things computer.
Reporting to the Associate Director of Information Technology as well as the Country Director for Kenya, the selected candidate is responsible for the support, upkeep, improvement and uptime of Free The Children’s hardware fleet.
Free The Children’s Information Technology team supports the organization’s broad and expanding needs.
As part of the team, you will have a unique opportunity to help support the rest of the IT team and entire staff globally, leveraging emerging and current technologies.
We support computers in country and regional offices, troubleshoot printers in the UK, and fix software in Ecuador.
You will have an opportunity to take your work to the next level—all the while doing meaningful work that makes the world a better place. Join a team that truly makes a difference.
The position is based out of Free The Children’s International office based in Kenya however the person will be required to trouble shoot for other international offices as well.
While resumes are important, we want to know what makes you a great fit for our team and culture. We will consider resumes on a rolling basis and would like the right person to join us as soon as possible.
- End User Support
- Oversee the daily operations of all aspects of the service desk in Kenya and other international offices
- Support International and Regional offices remotely
- Ensure business needs are accomplished in the most cost-effective manner.
- Work closely with senior management team to help implement technology and processes based on business needs
- Hold overall vision for computer deployment, asset management, and exit procedures
- Troubleshoot emergency problems
- Provide backup solutions and services to staff.
- Printers and Servers
- Manage Support Virtualization and server infrastructure with support of senior teams
- Maintain and support building Access Control system
- Ensure printer and toner supplies are functioning and serviced
- Build escalation rules for malfunctioning hardware.
- Active Directory, SharePoint and Office 365
- Provision, configure and maintain Office 365 accounts
- Maintain strict quality control of staff information in company directories
- Maintain Sharepoint sites and security groups
- Troubleshoot security and sharing issues
- Provide remote troubleshooting support
- Provide backup services of various stakeholder groups
- Reporting and Administration
- Respond to issues and monitor/audit tickets
- Own and maintain the lifecycle of assets in the organization
- Train co-workers on use and support of implemented technologies
- Assist in strategic planning for the Information Technology department
- Manage the creation of standard operating procedure documentation
- Provide clear and effective communication to the senior team regarding hardware issues, systematic problems and outages
Skills and Qualifications:
- Possess a bachelors or similar diploma in the IT or related field
- Minimum of 5 years previous work experience with troubleshooting, supporting pcs, laptops and printers
- Comfortable with tearing down computers to bare bones and rebuilding
- Experience working with Microsoft Office 365, Active Directory, ADFS, AD DS
- Knowledgeable in using Microsoft PowerShell for Exchange and Windows Server
- Enjoys working in a demanding, fast paced work environment and flexible with work hours
- Able to perform well and problem solve in high stress, dynamic and changing situations
- Comfortable working with external stakeholders and vendors
- Positive and professional attitude and able to work as a team player
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience with vSphere and Hyper-V an asset
- Knowledge of helpdesk and ticketing tools are an asset
- ITIL Foundations certification is an asset
What makes Free The Children unique…
A Top Employer for Young People, Free The Children is filled with passionate, driven, hardworking, entrepreneurial, shameless idealists, this means we work late, set high goals and exceed them, and then push hard the following year to beat and exceed last year’s goals of empowering youth to change the world.
If you are looking for a predictable 9-5 work environment, this won’t be the right fit.
If you are inspired and excited by collaboration, making friendships with the most incredible people, unique additional responsibilities like working on our We Days and your personal values align with our core values, we would love to hear from you.
Free The Children sincerely thanks all those who apply, however only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
How to Apply