- BecA- ILRI Hub
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Senior Scientist Molecular Breeder to lead the analyses and interpretation of molecular plant breeding data from projects being conducted by the Integrated Genotyping Service and Support (IGSS) platform.
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
- Lead the analyses and interpretation of molecular plant breeding data from project being conducted by the Integrated Genotyping Service and Support (IGSS) platform
- Evaluate the quality of the phenotypic data and develop phenotypic values for subsequent molecular analyses
- Use molecular marker data to conduct diversity and structure analyses of the populations and use the results to further inform the analytical strategy
- Conduct analyses to identify marker/QTL and marker/gene associations in different types of populations
- Estimate the accuracy of genomic selection and produce genomic estimated breeding values that can be used in selection
- Provide breeders with interpretation of the results of analyses and suggest how to use the values to improve the efficiency of their plant breeding programs
- Lead and/or contribute to publication of the results of the analyses and research
- Contribute to building the capacity in African NARS focusing on strategies to modernize strong breeding programs.
- Lead and or prepare the IGSS internal and external technical reports
- Participate in resource mobilization activities and proposal development
- Support the IGSS platform delivering both analysed data ready for joint interpretation by IGSS staff and clients, and a service to support clients with analysis and interpretation.
- PhD in plant breeding, genetics, quantitative genetics, statistics, or related field
- At least 5-7 years post-doctoral experience
- Practical experience in private sector working with genomics in plant breeding.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to perform in a multicultural research environment and as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Strong technical science writing skills as demonstrated by publications in at least four peer-reviewed journals and other publications
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Capacity building, both individual and institutional
- Interest in international agricultural research and development
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Skills with managing large data files and data bases.
- Advanced skills in data bases, Excel, R, and other statistical analyses packages are required
Post location: The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya
Position level: The position level is 5A.
Duration: This position is on a fixed term period of 2 years.
Benefits: ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes 15% Pension, Medical insurance, Life insurance and allowances for: Education, Housing, Relocation, Home leave, Annual holiday entitlement of 30 days + public holidays.
How to apply: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development by clicking on the “Apply Now” tab above on or before 20 August 2017. The position title and reference number B/AHH/07/2017 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
To find out more about ILRI visit our websites at http://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer.