Admin & Finance Officer Jobs at Danish Refugee Council in Mandera
Danish Demining Group (DDG) is part of the Danish Refugee Council (DRC). DRC has operated in Kenya since 2005, and DDG’s programme in Kenya started in July 2012. DDG has armed violence reduction programmes in many other countries in the region including Somaliland, Somalia, Yemen, South Sudan and Uganda. One of DDG Kenya’s three thematic focus areas is community safety in border areas. This position is established to support the implementation of the CSSF Project in Mandera.
Admin/Finance Job Purpose
The A&FO supports the Community Safety Project Coordinator (CSPC) in implementing the CSSF project in Mandera, in relation to all financial aspects of the project. The A&FO will ensure efficient and effective financial/administrative operation of DDG’s Mandera office and the project activities. She/he will ensure compliance with DDG’s Operations Handbook alongside donor policies, procedures, guidelines and rules. She/he will seek and receive policy guidance/ instructions and support from the Head of Admin and Finance and the Regional Finance Officer.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Maintain financial files (physical and soft copies) and records according to DRC Operations handbook;
- Assist with preparation of budgets;
- Implement financial policies and procedures;
- Establish the cash requirements, and maintain adequate cash levels and related cash controls, safe custody of safe keys;
- Ensure weekly cash counts and reconciliations by DDG Operational office are conducted every Friday of the week, reviewed by the CSPC and filled in Nairobi for review by the Grants Manager the following Monday;
- Ensure month end cash counts are properly supervised and submitted to DDG office in Nairobi by the 1st of every month;
- Confirm that full accountabilities (documentations) are obtained for all expenditures and validity of claims all financial claims;
- Ensure weekly cashbooks’ preparation with complete documentations for all the projects for review by Project/Finance manager every Friday of the week;
- Ensure transactions are properly recorded and entered into the cash books on a daily basis;
- Maintain and reconcile daily, weekly and monthly cash books and budget follow ups;
- Prepare and reconcile bank statements;
- Ensure that monthly cash books are submitted to the Regional Grants Officer on the 5th of every month;
- Process approved payments of supplier / service provider invoices on the basis of complete documentation;
- Prepare schedules for all taxes withheld or paid on a monthly basis where relevant and submit to the Regional Grants Officer for verification before submission to the relevant authorities;
- Assist with the monthly, quarterly and annual DDG and donor reports preparation;
- Supporting Grants Officers/managers and Project Managers to adequately prepare for both internal and external audits;
- Ensure copies of project files and related documents are submitted to the DDG Country office, Nairobi for back up storage in both hard and soft copies;
- Keep copies of all documents submitted to DDG’s Country office in Nairobi in file for reference;
- Scanning of vouchers and supporting documents and sees that proper filing is done in accordance with donor requirements and / or DDG Operational Handbook;
- Inform the Regional Grants Officer and the CSPM of all financial issues which can affect the execution of the project;
- Ensure the safeguarding of all available funds;
- Prepare Payment Vouchers and review Order Requests in accordance with the approved authority Matrix and running budgets;
- Reconcile the accounts payables;
- Accurately prepare the necessary documents, compile source documents and daily postings of all the paid transactions in the cash books;
- Reconcile the accounts receivables/advances and Issue receipts for all the funds received;
- Prepare and submit staff details including Timesheets to Human Resources Officer for verification and computations;
- Manage asset transfer in the field;
- Asset tagging and update of the inventory list.
- Responsible for efficient functioning of the field offices in the field;
- Responsible for the storage and restocking of office consumables (Stationery and Kitchen etc) for field offices;
- Advice and support the CSPC or the designate on all administration and premises-related matters within the office;
- Coordinate and forward to the Regional Admin and Finance Officer all travel requirements local and international and procure travel tickets;
- Monitor all service contracts (compound, internet etc.) and forward renewal contract needs to the Regional Finance and Admin Officer. Ensure related contract payments are done before expiry of contract period;
- Supervise Office Attendants, cooks, cleaners and similar staff;
- Responsible for update of all e files in the back-up hard drive on a weekly basis;
- Responsible for timely scanning of all vouchers and timely submission to the Nairobi office for onward dispatch to HQ on a monthly basis;
- Support the Regional Finance and Admin Officer in the creation of standard Contracts for Works, Goods and Services in line with local regulations;
- Ensure a proper filing system is put in place at FO level for any Contracts in a separate file, using a chronological sequencing of contracts per project. This requires the release of Statements of Contracts for each Contract as per DRC template;
- Ensure contracts are respected and paid for according to agreed terms of payments;
- Manage any other relevant administrative management issues;
- Uphold the DRC’s Code of Conduct;
Line manager: Community Safety Project Manager, Kenya
Other key relationships:Internal: AVR Manager, Country Director for Kenya, Head of Finance and Admin, Regional Finance Officer,
External: Auditors, Suppliers.
- A recognized accounting qualification (CPA or ACCA)
- A basic degree (Economics / Accounting / Finance or Business Administration) or compensating relevant work experience.
- 4 years experience in financial management/administration within an non-governmental organisation (NGO)
- Experience in donor compliance
- Experience of donor reporting ideally within the NGO sector
- Experience of analysing financial information
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Fluency in one of the local languages spoken in Mandera is an advantage;
- Fluency in English. Strong command of written English and ability to speak clearly to various audiences;
- High degree of computer literacy; including high capacity to use excel.
- Organised, punctual and delivers on time,
- Strong ability to motivate and inspire staff and partners,
- Excellent networking skills,
- Passionate about promoting a Kenya free of armed violence and conflict
- Intelligent and creative mind that will enable him/her to identify new and suitable solutions to local safety needs; Diplomatic, patient and persistent,
- Analytical and able to present logical arguments,
- Curious and seeks out information,strong drive to learn new things and improve own capacity,
- Takes initiative – identifies what needs to get done and does it,
- Hard working and driven to achieve objectives, Able to work under minimum supervision
- A good team player, culturally sensitive and able to resist external pressure
Duty station: Mandera with extensive field travel within Mandera and Nairobi for official duties.
Contract: 7 months – with possibilities for extension. Salary and conditions in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Kenyan National staff.
Start date: As soon as possible.
Further information: For information about our work and organisation, please visit our website http://www.danishdemininggroup.dk/.
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit an updated CV (no longer than two pages) and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post. Only applications in English that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications and marked Admin and Finance Officer Mandera” will be considered. Qualified candidates are invited to submit applications online HERE The deadline for submission of applications is the 4th September 2015. This Position is open to Kenyan nationals only