Geographical Information System Officer Jobs at World Vision, Kenya
Grade level : 13
Reporting to : Associate Director – Strategy and Program Effectiveness
Location : Nairobi
Information System Job Purpose in Kenya
- The Geographical Information System (GIS) specialist role is to establish a GIS system for World Vision Kenya Program, build staff capacity in collecting GIS data, building and updating geo-databases. The specialist publishes program and project areas’ atlases that present comprehensive view of natural conditions and socio economic activities as well as implement WV Kenya Web/Internet based GIS for access by all the stakeholders and donors.
GIS Development and Compliance (40%)
- Develop/rollout GIS system and databases for all World Vision Kenya Programs
- Coordinate GIS efforts from the National office, Regional and the Program areas
- Participate in development of monitoring tools and incorporate spatial analysis into the methodologies so that change can be visualized spatially.
- Develop specifications for additional GIS and GPS related hardware and software
- Produce maps and data for Programs and Projects
- Design and update database, applying additional knowledge of spatial feature representations.
- Coordinate GIS databases maintenance as per international standards
- Ensure that GIS business processes, standards and policies developed in coordination with other WVK entities– are effectively and consistently used by operations staff.
GIS Data Collection, Analysis, Management and Reporting (35%)
- Field visits to monitor GIS operationalization in programs/projects and collect data
- Conduct research to locate and obtain existing databases.
- Analyze spatial data for geographic statistics to incorporate into documents and reports.
- Compile geographic data from a variety of sources including customer surveys, field observation, satellite imagery, aerial photographs, and existing maps.
- Prepares, updates, and distributes GIS maps and new information
- Prepare and provide GIS reports which are evidence-based, based on the data collected from the project areas and share with the programs and staff for sharing with the stakeholders in a simple maps depicting change/impact
- Maintain inventory of system maps as related to GIS (converts from CAD when necessary)
Capacity Building (10%)
- Keep current with new GIS and GPS information and technology (updates the systems)
- Prepare training materials and make presentations to WVK Staff and partners
- Guide GIS system users in creating requirements for GIS Software
- Writes documentation to support software
Advocacy, Engagement and Networking (5%)
- Ensure high presentation of GIS products to WVK staff, donors, NGOs, Government and other stakeholders.
- Linkages with partners (NGOs, County and National government, church, bilateral and multilateral agencies) in resources mapping for development
Resource Acquisition (5%)
- Support fundraising teams during proposal development upon their request in relation to GIS initiatives
Others (5%) any other duty asigned
Qualifications for Information System Jobs in Kenya
The required qualification constitutes the combination of the following;
- Bachelor’s degree in Geomatic Engineering or Environmental Bio-systems, Water, Irrigation or Agricultural Engineering with post graduate training in GIS
- At least 3 years’ experience in conceptualization and preparation of maps and other cartographic products using ArcGIS products; working knowledge of the latest version of the software, i.e., ArcGIS 10;
- Must demonstrate ability to design methodologies for collecting GIS data, manage spatial datasets, and maintain the strictest confidentiality of sensitive data while ensuring protocols for usage and licensing of procured GIS datasets are carefully followed;
- Experience in concepts/proposal development for GIS related initiatives is added advantage
- Must be a committed Christian, able to stand above denominational diversities.
- Self-driven and passionate
- Ability to work under tight schedules and with highly competing priorities.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Good presentation skills
- Compatible with WV mission, ethos and core values.
How to Apply
Click here to apply