NGO Recruit is a specialist recruitment agency focused on sourcing qualified passionate candidates for the non-profit, development sector in Africa.
- The Africa Constituency Bureau seeks a Policy Analyst to support the ED in providing leadership and strategic guidance on how Africa can maximize the impact of Global Fund support to end the three epidemics – HIV, TB and Malaria. Under the oversight of the ED, S/he is expected to take the lead on specific policy-related and technical areas within the 3-diseases portfolio. S/he will contribute towards the development of policy and guidance within the ACB, as well as at global level through regular interaction with the relevant technical agencies and regional partners.
- S/he works directly with Communication Focal Points (CFPS), Advisory Committee and the Board in providing technical advice to inform strategic positioning: i) in response to epidemiological trends of the 3 diseases in Africa; ii) respond to needs and challenges from Africa Constituencies, and; iii) critical strategic and governance issues emerging from Global Fund Secretariat. S/he supports the ED in the provision of expert guidance on the 3 diseases within the Global Fund support, keeping Constituencies updated on the best scientific evidence and best program practices in HIV, TB and Malaria prevention, treatment, care and support.
- Working under the supervision of the ED, S/he will represent the ACB in technical fora, liaising closely with key partners to maximize the Global Fund’s contribution to the fight against HIV, TB and malaria in Africa, working closely with CFPs and respective Constituencies and the Board on the design of strategies to strengthen technical partnerships at global, regional and country level, specifically around policy and governance issues that are strategic to Africa.
This is a full-time position based in Home Country.
- Informed by normative guidance from technical partners and by performance of Global Fund support to Africa, provide advice on strategic investments and governance decisions required to achieve maximum impact and optimal alignment of Africa Global Fund financed-programs with the 2017-2022 strategic objectives
- Conduct specific detailed analyses along the grant lifecycle and where required and in collaboration with Africa Constituencies, identify investment gaps and opportunities for reshaping of Global Fund support to Africa
- Use her/his technical expertise and insights into Global Fund-supported disease control programs to provide technical input into ACB policy and guidance documents, and to work with relevant global technical partners to evolve normative and strategic investment guidance aligned with implementation needs
- Provide disease-specific technical advice to the Board and the rest of Africa Constituencies
- Work closely with the respective representatives from Africa on the select committees, to advise on appropriate actions to end the epidemics in Africa
- Monitor scientific and programmatic developments, including new tools (drugs, vaccines, diagnostics, preventive tools, etc.) and public health approaches for the prevention and control of malaria, and ensures appropriate dissemination, training and technical capacity building across the two Africa Constituencies
- Support the ED of ACB in efforts to strengthen the ACB’s partnerships with key external partners, including through disease-specific committees and working groups
- Support the ED of ACB in managing the governance and coordination of Technical Partnership Agreements, work closely with Communication Focal Points (CFPs), Africa Constituencies, the Board and the CCMs to facilitate optimal partner engagement in the provision of quality-assured Technical Assistance during consultative meetings, pre-Board discussions and post-Board meeting responses
- Contribute to the development of ACB reports, publications, press releases and other advocacy or information materials
- Develop Terms of References for consultants, and supervises these if their work falls within her/his area(s) of responsibility
- Performs other duties consistent with the role and grade as required
Qualifications and Skills Prerequisites
- An advanced university degree in health policy, public health, epidemiology, or infectious diseases
- A minimum of ten years’ work experience at international level in malaria, HIV and TB prevention, treatment, care and support, including program design and implementation, research and policy development
- Demonstrated understanding of relevant policy initiatives
- Experience working on HIV, TB and Malaria programs in Africa
- A good understanding of the international health arena and direct exposure to health environments both at national and international levels
- Experience working with international technical agencies focused on HIV, TB and malaria control and elimination
- Strong analytical, communication and writing skills; excellent knowledge of English and preferably a good working knowledge of French. Knowledge of other languages would be an asset
- Strong planning and implementation skills, including careful attention to detail, initiative and coordination skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and comfortable public speaker
- Sound judgment and commitment to ACB’s core values of transparency, accountability and efficiency
- Excellent computer skills
- Social Sciences degree with specialized post-graduate qualification in health policy and/or HIV program management
- Knowledge of the Global Fund and its policies, processes and governance structure
- A good publications record demonstrating the ability to analyze datasets and complex public health interventions
How to Apply
Interested applicants are to submit a CV with a one-page cover letter demonstrating suitability to the role per email to Dela Atubra [email protected], quoting reference number NAB002.
Application deadline: 28 April 2017.
The ACB is an equal opportunity employer. African nationals and women are strongly encouraged to apply.