Organization: Adeso – African Development Solutions
Position Title: Temporary Roving Finance Manager – Somalia
Reporting to: Country Director-Somalia and Senior Financial Analyst
Working with: Somalia program team, Adeso Finance team
Program / Duty station: Garowe, Somalia with regular travel to all Somalia offices
Duration: 3 Months
Starting date: Mid-September, 2015
Organizational Context: Adeso is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization.
At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive.
Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming.
We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For the past 20 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future. At present, Adeso has programs in Somalia, Kenya and South Sudan.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
Temporary Finance Manager- Somalia will be a full-time member of the Adeso staff, working with the teams in HQ, country offices and the field.
- Providing leadership and supervision to all finance officer in the country offices and ensure that they carry out their daily tasks in an effective and efficient manner as per Adeso’s policies and procedures and donor requirements.
- Assist the programme managers and country directors in the preparation and monitoring of budgets for all country projects/programmes as per Adeso and Donor formats, on monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
- Provide timely and sound financial reports to the Management, donor and other stakeholders on monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
- Assist in the institution of organizational financial policies and procedures ensuring compliance to the said policies.
- Responsible for the disbursement of funds based on approved project budgets to the field on a timely basis.
- Review the monthly payments including payroll for all staff.
- Maintains an efficient and transparent financial filing system.
- Strengthen financial systems and internal controls and ensure that transactions are adequately captured and recorded accordingly in the system. Ensure all payments are adequately supported by the relevant documents.
- Provides timely and sound financial reports to the Management, donor and other stakeholders on monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
- The preparation and updating of country master budgets as requested.
Business planning and Donor management
- Monitor budgets and programme expenditure of the country offices and teams
- Manage the country cash flow and ensure timely approval and disbursement of all fund requests to the field
- Compliance and implementation of policies and procedures
- Undertake regular financial monitoring in the field /country sub-offices and ensure that staff adhere to Adeso and donor financial policies and procedures.
- Ensure the organization is in compliance with local statutory laws and legislations.
- Ensure proper procurement procedures are adhered to at all times, including maintaining of vendor contracts, lease agreements, and any other service contracts as may be required.
- Oversee the performance management of all finance staff and undertake annual performance review of finance officers.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration
- Professional qualifications in accounting or CPA (K), ACCA, CIMA, or equivalent;
- A minimum of 6 years’ experience working in a similar position;
- Experience in managing multiple programmes and operations remotely;
- Experience in institutionalizing financial policies and procedures and internal control systems;
- Strong attention to detail and a high level of organization;
- Previous experience in similar position.
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written and the ability to work independently and as part of team;
- Diplomacy, tact and negotiation skills;
- Willingness to travel regularly to and within remote areas ( In Kenya, South Sudan and Somalia);
- Ability to function effectively in a complex work environment, set appropriate priorities and deal effectively with numerous simultaneous requirements.
- Strong management skills and strong competencies in people management, capacity building and coaching;
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office programs, particularly Microsoft Word, Excel, and financial applications such as sun systems is strongly preferred;
- Strong hand on experience and knowledge of institutional donor funding requirements and regulations particularly European commission, UN agencies, DFID and USAID to be able to advise programme staff accordingly;
- Strong analytical and numeracy skills as well as be ability to demonstrate experience of working with computerized accounting packages and spreadsheets with ability to transfer these skills to other users;
- Good knowledge of local and regional laws and statutory requirements;
- Highly developed interpersonal skills and a proactive approach to issues.
How to Apply
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional.
If you would like to join this dynamic team, please submit your application to [email protected] , quoting the position in the email subject matter, by 3rd August 2015.
Each application should be addressed to HR Director and include the following:
An updated CV with updated contact details: Phone No., Email Address and Skype ID; and
An application letter which should include cover letter, remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Adeso is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on one’s background, beliefs, gender or sexual orientation.