Job Vacancy: Deputy Director – Programme Operations
Reporting to: Director Programme Operations
Probationary Period: 3 months
Marie Stopes Kenya (MSK) has been a pioneer in the field of sexual and reproductive health services in Kenya for the last 30 years.
In line with our mission and vision, MSK continues to deliver high quality SRH services through multiple service delivery channels that include a network MSK own clinics, teams of mobile outreach team, dedicated MSK call centre, social media and a network of private providers within the Amua social franchise.
The Deputy Director Programme Operations is key in supporting the Director Programme Operations in the implementation of MSK service delivery across all channels.
Hence, this post provides empowering and strategic leadership to the Programme Operations Department’ field teams throughout the country, across the three main channels of service delivery: Clinics network, Outreach and Social franchising.
Also, the Deputy Director Programme Operations is the Focal Point ACCESS within the Country Program.
ACCESS is the biggest funding contribution to the implementation of MSK activities, in particular regarding uptake of IUDs FP method, SA/PAC, and PAFP.
The role of the Focal Point ACCESS is to provide technical support that guides MSK strategic and operational delivery of our SRH services with a particular focus on access to high quality family planning and comprehensive abortion care (CAC) services through MSK’s Center network and AMUA social franchise network throughout Kenya.
The successful function of this role will strengthen MSK position as the provider of choice for SRH services and drastically shape the current SRH health market to provide greater access to choice of provider and type of SRH service.
The Deputy Director also deputizes the Director when required, and supports in the daily running of the Programme Operations Department.
The strategic purpose of the Programme Operations Department is to ensure excellent delivery all MSK programme activities and the development and funding of new work.
The position is a member of the Senior Management leadership team of MSK whose members strongly reflect MSK’s values in their behaviour.
Led by a rotating chair, the SMT is made up of deputy directors, senior coordinators and managers of five core departments which, working together and mutually accountable to one another, are responsible for development and delivery of a strategic and sustainable programme, using Marie Stopes social enterprise model.
Within the SMT, the Deputy Director PO will provide data on key issues and information on progress.
Key Responsibilities and Measures This position has the following three key responsibilities:
1. Support the implementation of MSK service delivery across all channels,by providing empowering and strategic leadership to field teams throughout the country, across the three main channels of service delivery: Clinics network, Outreach and Social franchising2. Coordinate the successful roll out and implementation of the ACCESS (SRH) program through multiple service delivery channels
3. Monitoring and reporting on ACCESS program progress against set Key Performance Indicator (KPIs) and be the focal point for relevant communication with the donor4. Strengthen the strategic direction of MSK’s SRH vision both internally and externally
CYPs, DALYs, CCSPT, PAFP, as well as ‘Focus on Clients’ targets (adolescents and PWDs in particular)
FP and CAC fully integrated across MSK service delivery channels
Service delivery KPIs (CYPs) achieved
Timely and accurate reporting
Prompt feedback to donor’s requests
SRH strategic plan designed and executed
1. Support the implementation of MSK service delivery across all channels, by providing empowering and strategic leadership to field teams throughout the country, across the three main channels of service delivery: Clinics network, Outreach and Social franchising (targets specific for year 2015)
The activities include:
Supporting excellent management of individual teams so that MSK Centres run at a profit; Outreach teams reach new communities; Social Franchise outlets are effective and all deliver QTAs of 92%+ with increased involvement of the community
Annual planning process involving all staff and other Directorates to set targets and related activities
Procurement plans completed and agreed for all sub units
Link with QTA cycles and raising concerns on quality for prompt action (focus on PAFP)
Creating opportunities for synergy across channels
Analysing areas of inefficiency and addressing strategic fault-lines between MSK centres and SF, free Outreach services and paid-for services, etc
Use of structures and decision-making processes to enable learning through empowerment
Clear performance management plans through line management
Identification and delivery of appropriate training/personal development support
Ensure that all programme activities are supported by excellent M&E and strategies for community engagement
Report monthly to SMT and CMT on CYP targets
CYPs Numbers per channel (FPO – 470,498; Clinics – 70,766; SF-343,037) in 2015
24,900 adolescents reached with FP services including 2400 with LARCs services
50,000 women reached with CCS PT screening
253,172 DALYs for the year 2015 via AMUA
50% increase in the # of PLWDs served
2. Coordinate the successful roll out and implementation of the ACCESS program through multiple service delivery channels
The activities include:
Providing strategic direction towards the successful scale up and integration of FP and CAC services to a multidisciplinary team of SPs of various cadres and job levels across various departments
Closely provide technical oversight and back stop on the smooth program roll out as per the Gantt chart
Lead in the design and roll out of a cross channels referral system for clients and strengthen the referral pathway within and external to MSK service delivery channels
Provide technical support in the development of various SRH training materials for various cadres of service providers and community mobilisers in line with the MOH guidelines
Provide technical support and work closely with marketing department in the development and roll out social mobilisation strategies that maximises reach including IEC materials
Provide technical support to ensure effective program coordination at regional level and synergies across MSK service delivery channels by closely working with the regional coordinators/managers
Conduct routine needs assessments to inform the key program inputs that will drive performance and actively participate in filling gaps in service delivery including trainings and recruitments
Working closely with QAM department in closely tracking the roll out of training and post training follow ups for SPs across service delivery channels
Actively seek and Identify opportunities for leveraging to maximise delivery of SRH across MSK service delivery channels including scale up plans in a sustainable approach
Provide technical support to CMs and regional coordinators on the routine use of data from CLIC to inform program design and approaches that ensure sustainable growth of MSK clinics
CYPs from FP and SA services
# Referrals across channels including pharmacies
Updated Training materials for SPs and CHWs
Revised/updated IEC materials
SRH DG events
Training reports and action plans
Training reports and Mentorship reports
Activity reports & Meeting reports
QTA reports and action plans
CLIC BR reports with action plans;
PAFP growth rate, positive income to cost ratio
3. Monitoring and reporting on program progress against set Key Performance Indicator (KPIs)
The activities include:
• Compile reports and make presentations on program progress across MSK service delivery channels on a monthly basis to MSK’s management team including relevant external reports
• Develop clear modalities on safeguarding including observance of MSK’s rights based approach to SRH service delivery
• Contribute in developing better tools and systems to monitor FP and CAC service uptake across MSK service channels including PAFP integration and uptake
• Lead in the development of various operational research that aim at gaining better insights on clients’ needs including adapting such results in to the program design and/or mid-course corrections.
• Lead in dissemination of SRH focussed routine program monitoring and results on various operational research across MSK service delivery channels and regions both internally and externally
• Closely monitor and ensure prudent use of any program resources on a timely basis
• Be the focal point for relevant communication to the donor
SOPs on SRHs available at SDPs
Updated M&E data collection tools, PAFP rate
Revised Protocols on MCS, CEIs, KAPs,
Insight surveys etc.
Abstracts and Manuscripts
On track BVA reports and action plans
4. Strengthening the strategic direction of MSK’s SRH vision both internally and externally
The activities include:
- Develop innovative and sustainable SRH strategies that can be successfully tested with high potential for scale up in Kenya as well as in other MSI country programs
- Work closely with other RHN partners to ensure better synergy and maximise on impact
- Lead in the development of community based advocacy briefs and/or engagement presentations aimed at making access to FP and CAC a social norm
- Contribute to the strengthening and operationalization MSK’s strategy on community engagement with a focus on CHWs
Activity reports, dissemination of PS&G on SA
Engage presentations and community dialogue meeting reports
Knowledge, skills and experienceQualifications:
- BSc or Diploma in Health related area, or equivalent from a recognised university. Master’s Degree (MPH, MA, MBA) or equivalent desirable
Skills / Experience:
- Demonstrated experience working in program management (SRH preferred) or operations with proven achievements in project design, implementation, and evaluation
- Proven experience in facilitating technical and strategic design processes, and developing workflow processes and tools
- Proven experience in managing complex business processes with multiple stakeholders under rigorous deadlines
- Proven experience in budget development and sound understanding of financial program management processes
- Proven experience in designing and managing change management processes
- Proven experience developing publications (abstracts, manuscripts ) and outputs for external audiences
- Demonstrated experience in managing and mentoring teams
- Experience in community promotion and business management
- Expertise in sexual and reproductive health, policy and advocacy, or health systems strengthening preferred
- Strong I.T skills
- Proven experience in community promotion and project coordination.
- Track record in delivering programmes to scale within time frame and budget
Attitude / Motivation:
Successful performance at MSI is not simply defined in terms of ‘what’ people achieve, but equally is about ‘how’ people go about their jobs and the impact that they have on others.
There are 13 key behaviours that MSI encourages in all employees and they are defined below:
Thinking ahead and taking action to make the most of opportunities by finding the optimum solution
Thinking creatively and outside of the box so that ideas generated create a positive outcome
Communicating through active listening and good questioning techniques, using appropriate body language, ensuring information is clear and concise.
Being responsive to changing priorities and demands
Planning, prioritising and organising work to ensure work is accurate and deadlines are met
Sharing information and knowledge whilst maintaining confidentiality
Focus on Learning
Taking responsibility for keeping knowledge and skills updated and for seeking opportunities to develop further
Awareness and understanding of goals, vision and values and how your role impacts on this and going the extra mile to meet role requirements
Drive and determination to deliver results
Taking responsibility for appropriate decisions that you make, and the actions and behaviour you demonstrate
Openness to embracing change within the organisation and being able to adjust plans/activities accordingly
Motivation towards achieving quality results to maximise potential
Working as part of a team by being supportive, flexible and showing respect for each other
How to Apply
If you believe your career objectives match this exciting position, please forward your application and detailed C.V stating your current position, remuneration, contact details by 5 pm on 18st August 2015 to Sheer Logic Management Consultants E- Mail: [email protected]
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
NB: Please clearly indicate on the subject line as ‘Deputy Director Programmes Operations’