GESCI, the Global E-Schools and Communities Initiative, is a non-profit organisation founded by the United Nations ICT Taskforce. GESCI, with its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, provides strategic advice and assistance to Governments in the socio-economic development of their countries through the widespread integration of technology for knowledge society development, especially in the education, skills training, leadership and community development domains.
The Programme Manager will report to the Director of Programmes.
o Work with the GESCI executive leadership and key staff to operationalise the GESCI vision of building secondary-level student 21st century skills and teachers’ innovative practice through digital whole school development
o Provide overall leadership, coordination and management to the programme team, partners and stakeholders
o Develop, implement and monitor work plans and financial and resource plans to ensure and facilitate effective and efficient execution of programme activities
o Develop and maintain collaborative working relationships with the Ministries of Education and their relevant agencies in the three countries, with other relevant partners, stakeholders and staff
o Together with GESCI specialists, international experts and country partners design and develop comprehensive plans and activities to operationalise and implement the digital whole school development and teacher development models using ICT as an enabler
o Develop and implement a monitoring, evaluation and learning framework and plans to continuously monitor programme implementation to inform adjustment and strategic decision-making.
Education and professional qualifications
- Master’s degree or higher in Project Management/ Organizational Management or MBA with Project Management focus, or
- Engineering degree with advanced courses in Project Management/Education/ICT in Education, or
- Master’s degree or higher in Education/ICT/E-Learning with professional project management certification and a minimum of 10 – 15 years demonstrated experience in Project Management.
Skills and experience
- Prior experience in successful programme implementation in Africa in a multi -country / multi-cultural context
- Minimum of 10 – 15 years demonstrated experience in Project Management
- Minimum of 5+ years’ teaching/training experience and/or senior management experience at secondary school/teacher education level
- Excellent leadership, organizational and time management skills and demonstrated ability to manage complex, large-scale projects and multi-cultural teams
- Demonstrated leadership skills in planning and directing processes, program components, and external consultants
- Experience with project management tools, software and techniques
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize, plan and implement long term plans and strategies to enhance programme activities and ensure effective implementation
- Ability to work independently and to coordinate multiple assignments with fluctuating priorities
- Proven ability to collaborate with, oversee, direct and guide teams and to manage multiple partners and stakeholders
- Knowledge and experience of developing financial plans and managing budgets
- Ability to assess risk and anticipate, plan for and adapt to changing work environments
- Excellent analytical, prioritizing and problem-solving skills
- Attention to detail and the ability to ensure goals and objectives are met per the agreed programme deadlines
- Excellent oral, written and listening communication skills and ability to work in multi-cultural and diverse environment
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and take initiative.
- Proficient with Excel, Word, MS Project and other project management applications as required
- Excellent professional references (minimum of 3)
- Excellent communication skills in English
- Basic working knowledge of French will be an advantage.
Personal qualities and traits:
- Innovative and creative thinker
- High-level interpersonal skills to ensure a consistently positive and productive team dynamic
- Must understand and be aware of other team members’ scope of responsibilities and be willing to mentor, guide and coach them as required
- Must be a patient and good communicator who can function in an organization employing multi-national staff, and whose programme sites and teams are geographically disbursed across 3 countries and 2 working language groups (English and French)
- Seeks to identify and communicate potential problems and propose solutions
- Must have the flexibility to deal rapidly with numerous and often simultaneous problems which require consideration of a wide range of complexity and priorities.
How to Apply
Please submit your detailed CV, proof of credentials and names of referees along with a cover letter specifying why you qualify for this position to Patti Swarts, Director of Programmes, GESCI, to the following e-mail address: [email protected] by 15th May 2017. Kindly note that only candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements need apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.