Short Term Position: Logistic and Security Coordinator – Kenya / SomaliaMédecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organisation whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France.
It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To contribute to a comprehensive MdM logistical system in place to improve the quality and the relevance of our interventions
- Ensure that technical choices are appropriate and reflect the needs and context of the Mission,
- Oversee the implementation and follow-up of all technical aspects of the Mission, Guarantee the availability, implementation and management of all the technical and logistical resources required to carry out the operations of the Mission,
- Make all the technical choices for the various logistical areas (procurement, construction, security, communication systems etc.) and supervise their implementation,
- Supervise and regularly evaluate the progress and advancement of logistical activities.
- Harmonize logistic tools and procedure for the Kenyan and Somalia parts of the project
- In coordination with the AdminCo follow up and respect the MdM Logistic procedures for purchase; communication, stock management, fleet management, asset management
- Supervision and validation with the support of the Logistician in Bosaso supply chain management, and logistic activities in Somalia.
- Supervision and validation with the support of Log team all Logistic activities inside Kenya
- Implement and follow up all support tools and training if necessary
- Participate in different coordination meeting as required (inter-NGOs, forums, INSO, NSP)
- Facilitate the communication within the logistic component of the team and between the different members of the team on logistic issues,
- Supervise and manage the logistic team: training and development (conflicts resolution, individual development plans, follow-up),
- Provide the field teams with the necessary support, information and documentation,
- Recruit logistic personnel in accordance with the administrative procedures,
- Brief and debrief staff on logistical and technical aspects of the Mission.
- Attend Logistic related external meetings (clusters, Humanitarian Forum security meeting…),
- Consolidate logistic reporting (assets, fleet, premises …) and prepare monthly logistic report,
- Writing logistic parts of donor report,
- Organise regular meetings with the capital and fields logistic teams, in order to share all information and problems, finding solutions where necessary,
- Communicate daily with the logisticians and General Coordinator in order to ensure good understanding of the activities and priorities of each task,
- Responsible for logistical communication with the HQ logs department.
- Defines the construction and rehabilitation activities required, and participates in feasibility study.
- Ensures the preparation of the construction/rehabilitation programme:
- Selection and recruitment of construction contractor and other technical staff members.
- Planning of activities with the medical team support
Skills and Experience Needed
- Degree or technical background in logistics
- Experience in managing logistic in difficult and unsecure contexts abroad
- Experience of team management and capacity building is essential
- Experience in negotiations and relations with local partners, providers and authorities in a difficult legal, administrative and political context
- Ability to take initiative and remain proactive in a complex work environment and autonomy in performing its tasks
- Ability to classify and to manage priorities and develop a comprehensive approach
- Organizational skills, good management and communication skills (Fluent in English)
- Taste and ability to build capacities of team and partners
- Negotiation skills
How to Apply
If you believe you are the ideal candidate we are looking for, please submit your application and CV to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org with the title: LOGISTIC AND SECURITY COORDINATOR, Kenya by Thursday, 20th August 2015.
Only shortlisted applicant will be contacted.
No application will be considered after the closing date as well as any application received by phone or in our office.
MDM is an equal employer and female candidates are encouraged to apply.