Job title: Field Coordinator for Beledweyne (Somalia Mission)
Reference position (according to Solidarités’ scale): Coordinator – E1
Country and base of assignment: Somalia, Beledweyne
General recruitment information:
Desired start date: 01/09/2015
Title and duration of programme: “WaSH and food security support for drought and conflict affected populations in Beledweyne Region, South Central Somalia” – 01/04/2015 to 31/03/2016
Duration of financing for post: 7 months
Source of financing for post: ECHO
Duration of the mission: 7 months
Status / allowances and salaries: According to internal salary scale
Place of work: Beledweyne (South Central Somalia), with frequent visits to project sites and upon request visits to Nairobi (country office)
1.1 Context of the position
Solidarites International joint Kenya / Somalia mission was opened started in march 2007. SI has been directly implementing programs mainly in South and Central Somalia.
In 2015 mission includes operations in one region in Kenya (Marsabit) and 3 regions in Somalia (Gedo, Lower Juba and Galgaduud). We are in process of opening operations in Beledweyne
The Field Coordinator has the role of delegated Head of Mission in Somalia for Beledweyne in which Solidarités International intervenes.
The Field Coordinator in Beledweyne is responsible for all projects implemented by in the Region.
The Field Coordinator will be under the supervision of the Country Director and will work closely with Nairobi coordination team.
1.2 Specific objectives
Field coordinator proposes a regional strategy according to the geopolitical and humanitarian context, and ensures its implementation once validated.
Field coordinator checks and ensures that projects are carried out in accordance with the Solidarités International charter, respecting all internal and contractual procedures
Field coordinator mobilizes the material and financial resources necessary for programs to run smoothly, and supervises resource management.
Field coordinator coordinates the teams in place and is responsible for their security in his/her assigned zone.
Field coordinator is the Head of Mission’s direct contact and representative.
2. Profile sought:
- Master’s degree (or Bachelor degree with 5 years of work experience) in International Relations, Social Science, Business Administration, Agriculture, and Engineering or related, or equivalent in 10 years work experience
- Training or specialization in a technical field (Project management, WASH, Food Security, DRR – Disaster Risk Reduction, Agriculture).
- Minimum 6 years increasingly responsible working experience in Project Management and in the NGOs sector
- At least 3 year of field experience in Somalia with an International NGOs
- Experience of working in Somalia is compulsory
- Experience of working in Beledweyne is an added value
- Experience in proposal and report writing.
Technical skills and knowledge:
- Proven managerial record and experience in managing large staff and programs
- Previous experience in working in insecure environment and Security management
- Advanced proposal and report drafting skills required.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Well organized and able to prioritize under stressful situations and tight deadlines
- Ability to perform assigned tasks with minimal support
- Excellent communication, coordination and negotiation skills
- Team leader and pro-active
- Proven knowledge of donors’ rules and regulations guidelines (EU/DFID and others);
- Good knowledge of the Project Cycle Management;
- Excellent organizational skills: ability to work independently & productively in a fast-paced environment;
- Excellent writing skills in English,
- Ability to synthetize information;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills: ability to effectively liaise with a variety of people in a multi-cultural environment;
- Excellent competency in Microsoft packages(Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
Excellent English (writing and oral)
Excellent Somali (writing and oral)
Knowledge of Kiswahili is and added advantage
Knowledge of French is an added advantage
Other desirable qualities:
Mature personality with proven analytical thinking,
Decision making and conflict resolution capacity.
Flexible work attitude and proactive
Creativity and energy to implement new approaches
Ability to cope with high levels of stress.
Ability to work productively in a team environment;
Flexible and willing to perform tasks outside of core duties.
Ability to respect and abide rules and regulations.
Strong capacity to work with initiative and without close supervision;
Dynamic in rapid change
Demonstrated interest in geopolitics.
Enthusiasm in working with local communities and good networker
3. Context of the post :
Brief overview of SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL work in the country: Solidarites International has been operational in Kenya and Somalia since 2007. SI main areas of intervention are WASH and Food Security.
In Kenya, SOLIDARITES has field base in North Horr.
Resilience and WASH project are implemented in Marsabit county, with funding from EU and DFID.
In Somalia, SOLIDARITES Is implementing projects are focusing on WASH and Food Security. In 2015 SI obtained funds to open activities in Beledweyne
How the mission is organised
Solidarites International Kenya/Somalia mission is covering both countries with one regional office in Nairobi and field offices in Kenya and Somalia.
The coordination team is based in Nairobi. The Field Team dedicated to Kenya Programs is based in North Horr.
The Kenya/ Somalia mission does not follow a classic set up. There are two different missions followed by the same coordination team. Kenya and Somalia contexts are different.
External actors (INGOs, LNGOs, donors, authorities, forums, etc.) are completely separated for Kenya and Somalia missions: it therefore multiplies the workload of the coordination team.
Specific context of the area in which the employee will be working
Main Working Location: 90% working in Beledweyne (base and visit to project locations) and 10% in Nairobi (coordination/donor meetings upon request).
Operational base is in Beledweyne town. Team will be facing significant security issues. There are very few extra professional activities possible. Several other NGOs present. Curfew at night. Base is basic.
Nairobi is a relatively safe city, although precautions must be taken. Main risks are from vehicle accidents, mugging, and vehicle hijackings.
How to Apply
Send a cover letter and CV with 3 references to the following email address:
Please indicate the job title and location in the email subject line.
Deadline for applications: 7th August 2015.
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL is an equal opportunity employer