United Disabled Person of Kenya is the Federation of Organizations of persons with disabilities in Kenya. UDPK was formed in 1989 and has the mandate of
advocating for inclusion of persons with disabilities in all aspects of development. UDPK wishes to recruit an Advocacy Program Officer.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Advocacy Program Officer will be based in Nairobi with frequent travel to other Project areas. She/ He will mainly
be responsible for the development and implementation of various advocacy interventions that are components of the wide UDPK programs that aim to
expand participation of persons with Disabilities in social, political, and economic activities.
The program officer charged with the responsibility of developing and implementing advocacy initiatives will directly report to the Chief Executive
Officer. In addition to working under the direct supervision of the Chief Executive Officer, the program officer will work collaboratively with other program officers, project assistants, volunteers and other support staff in the organization S/ He will also have significant contact and interaction with UDPK member organizations and partners as may be required of the jobholder.
Programme Officer Job Responsibilities
The main responsibilities of the Advocacy Program Officer will include playing a specific leadership role in ensuring that the projects developed and implemented
fulfill all inclusive requirements, take the lead in providing support to teams involved in implementation, conduct advocacy and inclusion activities and further
build their capacity and that of other partners for more effective implementation of projects. Specific responsibilities are outlined below:
- Contribute to the design and continuous review of the program activities.
- Develop roadmap for the effective execution of program deliverables
- Manage and monitor the program activities
- In liaison with the CEO and other program officers, design and deliver advocacy trainings and advocacy design clinics.
- Data collection and analysis for monitoring purposes to be fully integrated in the day to day wok flow of the program and have active involvement of the organization’s member DPOs.
- Preparation of the monthly and quarterly program reports
- Participation in organizing and conducting program internal and external evaluation exercises
- Take lead role in racking progress in achieving outcomes and impacts
- Participation in quarterly and other scheduled program performance review meetings
- Share information and lessons learnt with other program staff
- Coordination with other program team members to ensure compliance with all reporting requirements of the program.
- Provide leadership in documentation of “success stories “and other anecdotal information to enhance the overall quality of performance both
for internal and external reports.
- Provide support to DPOs in the implementation of activities to facilitate PWD participation in elections and democratic governance as well as
- Support the development of program processes, tools and plans for partners and DPOs
- Provide mentoring, coaching and training to partner DPOs
Qualification for the Programme Officer Job
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, Community Development or related fields.
- A post graduate qualification in program/ project design, development and management will be an added advantage
- At least 3 years’ experience in work related to disability advocacy.
- Demonstrated work experience in advocacy and policy change in democracy, governance and human rights programs.
- Strong analytical and report writing skills as well as excellent presentation and facilitation skills
- Ability to work in a multi- disciplinary and multi – cultural environment with partners at all levels.
- Good knowledge management and proven middle management skills
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Power point and use of internet research
- Excellent communication skills and fluency in both English and Kiswahili.
How to Apply
Please submit, through email, a letter of application, detailed CV, with copies of academic credentials and contact information for 3 referees to the email [email protected] not later than 2nd December 2016.