The KEMRI / University of Washington Child Health Education Program, in collaboration with the University of Nairobi Department of Pediatrics, offers a community oriented, short-term educational training program in Kisii, Kenya for both Kenyan and United States based paediatricians in training.
The program aims to improve understanding of community determinants of health and disease among rural populations in the Kisii area.
We are looking for motivated and committed staff member with excellent interpersonal and communication skills to join our team as the Kisii based Program Coordinator.
Job Title: Program Coordinator (Kisii based)
Job Description: The Program Coordinator will be responsible for the overall operations, logistics and management of the training program in Kisii.
She/he will manage the project on a day-to day basis, provide mentorship to the visiting trainees and serve as the principal liason with the Kisii County health officials, NGO partners, hospital staff and administration, Kisii community advisory board and Kisii community members.
In addition, the Program Coordinator will be the primary point of communication for faculty at the University of Nairobi and the University of Washington who provide oversight and mentorship to the trainees.
She/he will also work with staff in the University of Washington/KEMRI offices in Nairobi to coordinate and administer the program.
The Program Coordinator will be responsible for developing the schedule of activities for the trainees during their time in Kisii and ensuring that the schedule is adhered to.
The Program Coordinator will work closely with the trainees to plan and carry out community based health assessments and interventions to improve health. In addition, she/he will be expected to provide weekly email summaries of activities and attend weekly teleconferences with US and Kenya based leadership.
- Master of Science Degree in, Nursing or Public Health or Degree or Higher Diploma in Nursing or Public Health
- Be able to design, amend and implement an experience based training curriculum
- Ability to communicate effectively and frequently to domestic and international supervisors
- Able to provide and receive constructive feedback to improve performance
- Computer literate (Word, Excel)
- More than 2 years experience in community health care
- Knowledge and experience with the health system in Kenya (required) and in Kisii (preferred)
- Fluent in Kisii (preferred)
- Willing and ready to travel within country
The program coordinator will act as the primary point person for the program in Kisii and will oversee all activities, including but not limited to:
- Planning and scheduling training curriculum for 8 week training cycles of paired US and Kenyan trainees
- Serve as the principal liason with the Kisii County health officials, NGO partners, hospital staff and administration, Kisii community advisory board and Kisii community members
- Lead discussion and planning of community health assessments and interventions
- Maintain strong relationship with the community groups involved
- Submit weekly written summary reports on the administration and activities of the program
- Participate in 2-3 teleconferences per week with US and Kenya based leadership
- Perform other duties that may be given by the Program Directors
- Uphold the mission and vision of KEMRI/UW Organization
Terms of Employment: One year renewable contract as per KEMRI scheme of service and a probation period for the first 3 months.
The successful candidate shall be based in Kisii.
Remuneration: Compensation is negotiable within a relevant grade, based on educational levels, relevant experience and demonstrated competency.
The salary scheme is based on the KEMRI salary scales.
How to Apply
If you meet the above requirements, please CLICK HERE
to complete the application form and then send an application letter with your current CV that contains details of your qualifications, experience and the full time telephone number and names and addresses of 3 professional referees and copies of certificates and testimonials to Email address: [email protected]
to reach us by Monday 5th September, 2016 at 5.00 p.m
Note: Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.