Job Title: Marketing and Communications Officer
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Jhpiego is an international, non-profit health organization affiliated with The Johns Hopkins University. For 40 years in East and Southern Africa, Jhpiego has empowered front-line health workers by designing and implementing effective, low-cost, hands-on solutions that strengthen the delivery of health care services, following the household-to-hospital continuum of care. Jhpiego partners with organizations to build sustainable, local capacity through advocacy, policy development, human resources for health and quality and performance improvement approaches.
Job Summary: The Marketing and Communication Officer will oversee efforts to assess, adapt and/or develop IEC and promotional material for peer educators for greater SRH including HIV prevention, SGBV prevention and condom promotion for an upcoming program. The incumbent will work with subcontractors to develop a social marketing campaign for a branded condom based off results of research on knowledge, attitudes and behaviors about HIV, including market analysis and mapping in order to develop and disseminate targeted promotional messaging campaigns. The jobholder will lead efforts to receive endorsement partnerships as part of the social market campaign and pursue potential collaborations with telecom companies and other media outlets to increase the reach of messages. The incumbent will communicate the work of Jhpiego to key constituents, including but not limited to the Government of Uganda, donor agencies, policy makers, partner organizations, the media, and academic and research institutions. S/he will communicate the mission, projects, events, resources and success stories as well as plan and coordinate promotional events and develop strategic communications, to various targeted audiences. S/he will direct the development of multi-media user-friendly communications for all program activities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop targeted social marketing campaigns for branded condom through the use of market analysis and mapping.
- Work in liaison with program staff in the development and implementation of brand strategies with the aim of stimulating demand, creating awareness and meeting program targets.
- Develop and conduct brand promotional materials and activities to increase product knowledge.
- Coordinate media and marketing to execute and monitor planned media and marketing activities.
- Generate brand procurement plans and work with program team to ensure that brand promotional materials are procured and disseminated/distributed in a timely fashion.
- Keenly review, develop and adapt general SRH/HIV prevention IEC materials to be used by the program
- Ensure that adequate supplies of promotional materials are available and provided to the implementing teams as needed.
- Work to build brand equity through proper planning, execution and evaluation of various brand promotional activities as a brand custodian, and assisting in the planning, execution and evaluation of various marketing activities.
- Develop and execute research activities to guide marketing plan and address problems, challenges, or opportunities, as needed.
- Conduct regular monitoring and reporting on brand performance, equity and market share and identify challenges to achievement of targets on a real-time basis, and initiate quick action to address problems.
- Carry out market segmentation within the target population and ensure a total market approach in distribution of branded and non- branded condom.
- Oversee the work done by social entrepreneurs marketing condoms within UPDF communities.
- Assist with development of communications plans for the project, as needed.
- Support team to adhere to branding and marking plan.
- Write stories/narratives about the work of project and share with media outlets.
- Lead in developing radio spots and jingles for promotion of branded condoms and project activities
- Work closely with staff in Communications and External Relations team in Baltimore to develop accurate, creative story ideas for a variety of media.
- Write narratives and program information in a reader friendly manner for use on the Jhpiego website, Jhpiego Quarterly newsletter and other communications.
- Develop talking points for staff for media events.
- Write program descriptions and information for usage on website and in various other media outlets and sources including social networking sites.
- Assist project to develop/adapt IEC materials, job aids, publications and presentations targeted to AGYW and military personnel Responsible media monitoring of adverts, DJ mentions and ensure placement of messages during high peak and prime time slots.
- Develop capacity building activities for staff to enhance their ability to communicate about project achievements.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a master’s degree in communications, mass media, journalism, public relations or its equivalent.
- At least five years’ experience at a senior level managing marketing and/or communications with NGOs, media houses or a development agency.
- Ability to communicate and to confidently engage with high-ranking government and donor partners.
- Excellent organizational skills including the ability to handle a variety of assignments under pressure of deadlines
- Excellent writing skills, an eye for design and creativity are a must coupled with excellent verbal and presentation skills
- Initiative and ability to identify needs, especially in a busy environment
- Keen attention to detail, consistency and accuracy
- Strong analytical skills and sound judgment
- Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively interact with all levels of staff and partners
- Good oral and written communication skills to effectively communicate findings and analyses
- Be cooperative, hardworking, flexible & dependable
- Be of high integrity and have a sense of confidentiality
- Be willing to take on extra responsibilities in order to achieve the goals/objectives set by the organization
- Capability to develop and implement effective strategies and tactics for accomplishing assigned duties
- Computer literacy skills – working knowledge of publishing software applications and word processing
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Ugandans are encouraged to apply online by uploading an updated resume, cover letter and three professional references at the web link below.