NGO Paid Internship in Kenya
ACTED is a French humanitarian NGO, founded in 1993, which supports vulnerable populations, affected by humanitarian crises worldwide. ACTED provides continued support to vulnerable communities by ensuring the sustainability of post-crisis interventions and engaging long-term challenges facing our target populations, in order to break the poverty cycle, foster development and reduce vulnerability to disasters. Their interventions seek to cover the multiple aspects of humanitarian and development crises through a multidisciplinary approach which is both global and local, and adapted to each context. Their 3,300 staff is committed in to responding to emergencies worldwide, to supporting recovery and rehabilitation, towards sustainable development. ACTED is looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced and committed team player to fill Security Intern Position in Nairobi-Kenya.
This position, reporting to the Country Security Manager (CSM) Kenya-Somalia, will ensure that the security standards of ACTED staff are high and ensure high-level security of all ACTED assets, property and resources within ACTED sphere of influence and context of operations. He/she will acquire operational comprehensive understanding of ACTED program in Kenya and Somalia/Somaliland and provide support and advice in terms of security.
What can the Intern expect from this internship?
The roles and responsibilities in this intern position will primarily be around learning the security operations processes and assisting the Country Security Manager to improve our monitoring and information management capabilities while managing all aspects related to data management and filing of the various safety and security related documents. You will get real hands-on experience on issues related to support teams operating in volatile environment supporting Security and field teams revising and upgrading our security protocols. The first phase (3 months) will focus on upgrading and updating all related protocols to be shared to the teams, a likely second phase (3 months) will focus on the gradual development of the protocols in place. Each period with a strong need of restructuring the way information is received, stored, maintained, and updated as well as ways the information is shared.
Under the guidance of the Security Manager, s/he will;
- Assist in enhancing our existing monitoring and alerting capabilities.
- Supporting teams dealing with safety and security responsibilities to integrate new processes
- Assist in improving existing internal security SOPs and systems.
- Support for updating existing protocols.
- Fill reports in case of security incident and follow up as appropriate.
- Fill the incident data base for Kenya/Somalia and centralize the national incident data bases, and GPS coordinates (kmz).
- Ensure proper filing/file maintenance of security related documents; daily, weekly, bi weekly reports, alerts, and dissemination of the same through the various internal media.
- Keep contacts, mailing lists, WhatsApp and or skype groups up to date.
- Compile weekly reports, relevant parts of internal monthly reports and other specific report where/when appropriate
- Compile Safety and Security Needs and available budget; prepare documents to be presented to Finance and Procurement – Logistics to respond to needs in time and within budget.
- Support to other task on ad hoc base
- Bachelor degree in Arts, Social Sciences, Management, or a related security field.
- While previous experience in security is not mandatory candidates with relevant technical experience will be an advantage.
- Either demonstrable experience in: report writing and analysis, incident reporting, incident mapping, information collection and analysis, writing, and/or developing security related protocols OR Document management,
- Be passionate about Security.
- Precise, concise, attention to details is expected.
- Good communication and problem solving skills.
- Good understanding and use of most MS office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) Google Earth…
- Fluency in English is Mandatory.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates with the required skills and qualifications are invited to submit their detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter as a single document(the cover letter should be on the first page and the CV should start on the second page) to [email protected] on or before 23rd April 2018 with the subject line “Application for Security Intern Position”. Applications sent after the deadline will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates that will be contacted.
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments. ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.