NGO Programme Manager Job in Kenya,Salary over Ksh250,000
Reference Number: PM-04-2018
Employment Type: Full time
Category: Education and Training
Job Grade: 9.0
KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme is one of the leading research centres in Africa. The Programme engages in a wide range of research on the main causes of ill health in Africa.
In addition, KWTRP has a strong commitment towards developing local research leadership. Most of the capacity building activities at KWTRP are managed through the Initiative to Develop African Research Leaders (IDeAL) with funding from the Wellcome Trust and DFID. The aim of IDeAL is to strengthen research capacity in Africa through research training schemes ranging from attachments for school leavers and undergraduates, Postgraduate Diploma, Masters, PhD studentships and postdoctoral fellowships.
We are now seeking to appoint a Programme Manager who can provide effective and efficient day-to-day administration and management of IDeAL.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supporting the Director, IDeAL / Head of Training in managing academic training at the Programme
- Providing day-to-day management of all research training schemes under IDeAL – including organising and overseeing recruitment, registration of students, progress monitoring, final assessment
- Managing IDeAL’s administrative team and acting as the main point of contact with KWTRP management, and researchers
- Day -to-day management of IDeAL’s funding – including supporting training fellows with budget planning and approving expenditure.
- Managing the annual bussiness plan for generic skills training for all students and postdocs supported by IDeAL and other funding.
- Managing correspondence between IDeAL and institutions where IDeAL students are registered.
- Managing the establishment of a strong Alumni network amongst those trained by IDeAL.
- Ensuring proper keeping of training records for the purposes of M&E and reporting to funding agencies and other stakeholders.
- A PhD in any discipline from a recognised university
- At least five years post qualification experience, three years of which include working as a project manager in research or capacity building initiatives or experience in managing postgraduate training.
- Computer literate; proficiency in Microsoft Applications including project management softwares
- Demonstrable knowledge of the process of developing bussiness plans, budgeting, and reporting to funder,
- A good understanding of the process of graduate training
- Experience in developing or managing electronic students information system
- Strong in management and administration
- Good planning and organisational ability
- Consultative approach with the ability to work under pressure and to prioritise
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Team working skills with the ability to work in a multi-cultural setting
- Good oral presentation and writing skills
- Good interpersonal and communication skills