The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors
Project Assistant Job description
- Ensure that the project activities are implemented in accordance with approved proposals, NRC policies and standards and donor requirements.
- Understand the situation, including the legal situation according to national and international laws and principles for refugees and returnees.
- Provide information and counseling to refugees expressing an intention to return to South Central Somalia in a factual and impartial manner.
- Ability to conduct surveys and gather data/information at the field level in an accurate and sensitive manner.
- Assist in conducting needs assessment of the target group. Documenting the results and recommend interventions in line with the project purpose.
- Translation of information leaflets in to the Somali language. Assist with the development of these leaflets.
- Assist in conducting research as required.
- Assist in design of surveys/questionnaires to assess the needs requirement of the target group.
- In collaboration with partners, plan an effective and mutually beneficial capacity building project, with the aim of developing and sharing knowledge, skills and attitudes in line with best practices in ICLA.
- Identify possible interventions at the field level for ICLA activities to address gaps and needs.
- Make recommendations on the way project activities can be amended or improved to best meet the set objectives.
- Work closely with other agencies involved in the voluntary returns process at the field level, establishing effective coordination and relations.
- Work closely with UNHCR and the Department of Refugee Affairs (DRA) at field level.
- Compiling and drafting of daily,monthly, quarterly, and annual field reports.
- Any other duty assigned to you by your immediate supervisor
Qualifications for Project Assistant Job
- University degree in law, political science or other relevant discipline. Diploma with experience will be considered.
- Minimum 3 years humanitarian experience with refugees/internally displaced persons (IDPs) at field level with an NGO or other international organization.
- Proven experience of legal, judicial and protection mechanisms.
- Experience of monitoring and evaluation mechanisms and tools.
- Fluent in speaking and written Somali and English language. Knowledge of Kiswahili is an asset.
- Political science
- College / University, Bachelor’s degree
- Ability to identify vulnerable groups e.g. women at risk, elderly etc…
- Ability to work under pressure, establish priorities and plan, coordinate own work plan, use time efficiently and apply judgement in the context of competing deadlines.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Excellent oral/communication skills and ability to articulate ideas in a clear and accurate manner including the ability to prepare and edit a variety of written documents, reports and briefs.
- Experience of legal assistance activities and awareness raising campaigns.
- Knowledge of the political and security situation in Somalia.
How to Apply
Click here to apply