NGO Project Manager Job at SlumTV Kenya
POST – Women, Media & Health Project Manager (RE-ADVERTISEMENT)
SlumTV is a grassroots media organization based in Mathare, a large slum in Nairobi, Kenya. The basic premise behind SlumTV is to provide the communities in the slums of Kenya with a means of documenting and representing what is happening in their neighbourhoods primarily for the local audience, but also for a national and international public.
With a vision of a radically redefined image of the slum, SlumTV uses film as an empowerment and development tool. SlumTV collaborates and networks with other similarly-oriented organizations to raise awareness locally, nationally and internationally about life in the informal settlements.
We work closely with other organizations in its endeavor to achieve its prime mandate; giving a voice to communities in the informal settlements by placing the tools of self-representation in the hands of young men and women.
We are growing. As an organization, SlumTV has passed its formative stage and is now ready to take on bolder initiatives, to increase coverage beyond Mathare, expand its audience and reach and broaden impact for young film and documentary makers and their communities within the slums. We are looking to recruit a suitably qualified and experienced female Project Manager to lead the implementation of our Women, Health & Media Project. The position will be based at the organization’s head office in Mathare, Nairobi.
The Women, Health & Media project seeks to empower and improve the living conditions of women in the Mathare, the second largest slum of Nairobi, through a bundled training and supply offer in community media. Through the project, women will produce audiovisual materials that help them express their requests and concerns around service delivery, particularly on equal access to healthcare and health services. The skills gained will also build the women’s capacity to earn a living.
The post holder will report to the SlumTV Board and/or his designate. This position manages, mentors and supports one (1) Project Assistant. The position works closely with SlumTV Programme Coordinator and Programme Officer – Finance & Administration.
Job Purpose and Key Responsibilities
The job holder will:
- Be responsible for the overall leadership and management of Women, Health and Media Project implementation, quality and reporting in the operating area;
- Ensure effective implementation of the project in line with the project proposal and SlumTV’s Strategic Plan;
- Ensure that the project is implemented in line with donor contracts and guidelines and related requirements;
- Ensure visibility and participation of stakeholders by facilitating appropriate collaborations, networks and partnerships;
- Ensure value for money and strict adherence to budgets, monitor and document project impact on target communities and deliver quality reports to the Board for onward transmission to the donors
We are looking for an individual with the following qualifications and attributes:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management, Communication Arts, relevant Social Sciences or equivalent in Project Management;
- At least 2 years of project management experience preferably in the social development sector and grasp of the project cycle management
- Good understanding of and/or familiarity with the use of Art, Culture & Media as tools for economic empowerment and social transformation;
- Demonstrated experience, knowledge, and/or interest in use of online media to develop, promote and enhance community participation;
- Good community engagement skills and sensitivity to the needs and experiences of marginalized communities;
- Good communication skills including great report writing, documentation and familiarity with social media platforms;
- Experience working with youth and women in health programmes is an added advantage;
- High level of self-motivation and experience of working under one’s own initiative, as well as a member of a small, interdependent team;
- Knowledge of fundraising and resource mobilization;
- An ability to create and leverage networks of interest amongst different stakeholders and sectors;
- An innovative and positive attitude that inspires hope and energizes communities and especially young people to act to transform their environment.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit their applications as ONE PDF document comprising a Cover Letter and a CV (each not exceeding 2 pages including contact details of three professional referees) by Friday 25th August 2017 to [email protected] and copy [email protected]