Afya Uzazi, meaning healthy parenthood in Kiswahili, is a five-year project funded by USAID East Africa and is implemented by a consortium led by FHI 360. The project aims to increase Family Planning/Reproductive, Maternal, Neonatal, Child, and Adolescent Health (FP/RMNCAH) impact through improving quality FP/RMNCAH demand generation activities and care provision in the focus sub-counties of Baringo North, Baringo Central, Marigat, and Mogotio in Baringo County and Kuresoi North and Kuresoi South in Nakuru County. Afya Uzazi builds on lessons and achievements from APHIAplus Nuru ya Bonde project and other projects. Specifically, the project aims to achieve:
- Increased availability and quality delivery of FP/RMNCAH and
- Increased care seeking and health promotion behavior for FP/RMNCAH.
The program will be undertaking an Operations Research for its integrated Population, Health and Environment (PHE) intervention to improve uptake of family planning and reproductive, maternal, newborn, and child health (FP/RMNCH) in Kuresoi North Sub-County. The Operations Research will be conducted over a period of 24 months and will examine the effects of adding selected PHE-focused activities to a community-based social and behavior change communication (SBCC) intervention targeting RMNCH outcomes. Outcome of this research will inform decisions on the appropriate interventions and strategies that the program should adopt to improve quality of services to communities in all the six focus sub-counties.
The first phase of this Operations Research entails a baseline collection and analysis of household data to establish the FP/RMNCAH and PHE situation prior to implementation of integrated PHE interventions.
The purpose of this consultancy is to serve as a Research Assistant for the baseline phase of Afya Uzazi PHE Operations Research in Kuresoi North Sub-County. This exercise will entail use of tablets to administer structured, face-to-face household questionnaires in selected community units in the sub-county, while capturing the basic household demographic information. The Research Assistant will be required to maintain confidentiality and security of data gathered.
The overall duty of the Research Assistant will be to ensure that data is collected appropriately and submitted to the supervisor promptly. Specifically, s/he will be required to perform the following services:
- Attend training on data collection methods and go through the data collection forms
- Perform field data collection and management activities following approved protocol including permission and consenting processes
- Review completed data before proceeding with the next interview
- Meet deadlines, including conducting assigned interviews in timely manner
- Orient self to research ethics materials (this does not count into consultancy or training period)
- Report to the immediate supervisor as required (eg discuss field experiences and challenges)
- Maintain confidentiality and security of data gathered according to outlined procedures
- Execute any other duties assigned by the supervisor
- The position will entail long periods of sitting, standing and/or walking
- There will be varied exposure to environmental elements such as sunshine, rain, cold, winds
- Field schedules vary from day to day and according to the preference of the potential study participants
Education and Experience:
- High School/Secondary School completion and 5-7 years of relevant work experience
- Diploma (2 years post-secondary education) in relevant area plus 3 to 5 years of relevant work experience
- BS/BA in relevant area plus 1-3 years of relevant work experience
- Fluent in English and Swahili. Competence in Kalenjin language is desirable
- Knowledge and experience in use of electronic data collection devices is mandatory
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to follow study-specific procedures and guidelines reliably
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Research ethics training certification
- Proficiency in basic computer technology including word processing (e.g. Microsoft Word), email and basic data entry (e.g. Microsoft Excel)
- Willing and able to work in any part of Kuresoi North Sub-County
Locals who meet these requirements are encouraged to apply
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.