The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 4000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs.
Safety & Security Intern (Kenya Nationals only) – Kenya
The position will assist the Security Unit in providing daily technical & advisory support to the Kenya Country Office operations. The position will also be involved in improving the analysis, reporting and compliance monitoring capabilities of the Security Unit via improvement of the incident and compliance databases; working closely with the Regional Security Advisor (RSA).
The Safety and Security Intern reports to the Roving Safety and Security Coordinator
Security Internship Job description in Kenya
- Produce a daily bulletin of safety & security incidents or developments in the Kenya context.
- Compile a themed monthly regional security bulletin, based on incidents and key messages.
- Develop and maintain the regional incident database, including developing additional components where necessary.
- Support facilitation of staff safety & security trainings as well as update and maintain regional training records.
- Support the daily management of compound security; including guarding services and access control procedures.
- Support the Roving Safety & Security Coordinator (RSSC) to meet day-to-day requests for technical support of the Kenya Country Office in Nairobi.
Qualifications for Security Internships in Kenya
- Higher Diploma or Degree in Social Sciences or equivalent.
- First Degree in Security Management, Risk Management or Criminology is an added advantage.
- Experience in preparing analytical reports.
- Experience in delivering trainings or presentations.
- Journalism / Communications
- Social studies
- Social science
- Academy college / University
- Good current and historical knowledge of the Kenya security context. Regional contextual knowledge will be considered an advantage.
- Demonstrable analytical skills.
- Strong writing and presentation skills.
- Fluency in the English language.
- Demonstrable proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Above average computer literacy.
- Good communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Flexible and innovative.
- Ability to handle a large workload, work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
- Ability and willingness to work and live under difficult circumstances.
- Ability and willingness to be mobile.
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity.
How to Apply
Click here to apply