Reference Number: SDM-91117
Category: Statistics and Data Management
OVERALL JOB PURPOSE:To replace the previous senior data manager and lead a team responsible for data capture, data quality and data analysis routines as part of a programme of work with hospitals around the country. The work will involve use of REDCap and other data collection applications in multiple sites within Kenya; use of the statistical software package R and its related interface function R studio; use of LINUX as an operating platform; work with DHIS2 and interaction with providers of electronic medical record systems in Kenya including Open MRS to foster harmonization of data collection.
REPORTS TO: Principal Investigator, Study Supervisors
DIRECTLY SUPERVISES: Data Manager/s
BUDGET AND RESOURCE RESPONSIBILITY: Some responsibility for ICT hardware maintenance to support data collection and planning for updates / additions
- Supervise & mentor data management team, set objectives and help conduct appraisals
- Preparing, updating and documenting systems requirements; overseeing design of data capturing systems and formulation of reports
- Developing systems, QCs and tools for collecting, entering, editing, cleaning, storing, validation, archiving, retrieving, organizing, and transferring of data; and carrying out data review, validation and report generation of all records generated from the database.
- Assisting with development of screening logs and case report forms.
- Conducting recurrent information queries and baseline statistical analyses and report results generated by study sites according to the project specification
- Developing and implementing processes and procedures for data management and movement.
- Implementing and enforcing regular data security activities such as storage, backups, archiving and user administration and resolving queries that arise
- Liaising closely with programmers to create databases, and to test and implement the various case report forms as per the project requirements.
- Providing a link between ICT and the department study teams and data managers
- Overall responsible for training, supervising and managing the departments data management and processing teams and monitoring their performance.
- Documenting system and data management procedures and processes in a manual and updating them periodically
- Performing study specific data management duties as assigned
- Responsible for preparing work plans and for managing QC of data and systems
- For the Health Services Research Group and linked with the KEMRI-WTRP ICT Department to:
- Coordinate roles and monitor progress of Data Management Team and Analytics team – build capacity of team through on-job training as required – provide at least monthly updates to PIs
- Provide oversight of HSU team ICT requirements for hardware and software ensuring equipment fit for purpose including server management (Linux and other as required)
- Lead implementation of progamme wide data governance / data management strategies – training team members as required – and liaison with Kilifi ICT / Data Management units
- Design and develop adaptations to / programming enhancements to REDCap and participate in the REDCap user group and other forums to understand the latest developments
- Help develop strategies using R to improve data quality and perform data analysis routines that can be incorporated into routine reports
- Develop and update web applications (supervising work of others as appropriate) maintained by HSU
- Take the lead in and provide oversight of HSU project and data archive development and access – to include use of DataVerse, Github and other platforms as required and to enable team to deliver ‘Open Access’ to data and tools
- Provide support in training of field data collection teams including developing training materials, preparation of hardware / software, training schedules and conducting training.
- Liaison with companies / groups who are developing electronic medical records to foster harmonization of key data across EMR platforms
- Maintain study databases as required including ensuring regular updates, cleaning, backups and archiving and ensure all related records and reports are handled and managed in line with data governance protocols.
- Ensure compliance with programme ICT policies that span data storage, description, security etc across the research team
- And any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- Master’s Degree in Data Management /Information Science or Computer Science
- At least three years’ experience in Data Management or similar position in a research or health institution.
- Demonstrated competence in information management and statistical analysis
- Excellent skills in systems analysis, data management, database design and structures
- Excellent computing skills, including LINUX, RECap and R and other Open Source software
- Experience in managing multisite, distributed data collection and integration
- Experience of developing system documentation
- Business analysis and basic SQL skills
- Ability to handle large databases and troubleshoot issues involving complex data integration
- Expert knowledge of maintaining and debugging live software systems and of writing and editing program documentation.
- Experience with report development for data quality assessment
- Experience with use of R for statistical programming and R Studio
- Experience with GitHub
- Prior work related to health care and ideally experience of analysing health data and writing research reports
- Solid understanding and experience with MySQL, PHP. Knowledge on Python would be an added advantage.
- An interest in developing team management skills
- Understanding of database design and maintenance, quality control and data cleaning
- Appreciation of the use of data for routine reporting
- Well-developed troubleshooting capacity and clarity of thought
- Have high energy, clear goal orientation and strong work ethics
- Strong organisation skills with the ability to prioritise workloads and work within tight deadlines
- Excellent customer support and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment and to multi-task
- Ability to interact with users/ office colleagues in simple non-technical language
- Good communication and interpersonal skills (verbal and written)
- Team worker, able to work in a multi-cultural environment and with multi-disciplinary teams