Terms of Reference: Business Development Officer
NIRAS International is a leading Scandinavian consultancy company, working with development assistance consultancy in developing countries around the world.
NIRAS has been active in Kenya for the last 30 years and has currently seven major ongoing long-term projects in the agriculture, environment, forestry and urban development sectors.
Other strong areas for NIRAS are water supply and sanitation, water resources management, climate change, energy, governance and decentralisation, skills development and health.
We regularly carry out short-term assignments in M&E, feasibility studies, project reviews and advisory services within our framework agreements with EU, Sida, Danida, DfID and other development partners and have several international training programmes ongoing, of which quite a few include Kenyan participants.
In addition to donor-supported work NIRAS is also working within the ports and maritime sector in Kenya.NIRAS is currently recruiting for an experienced Business Development Officer for its Kenya office.
Job Purpose: The Business Development Officer will work closely with and report to the Country Representative, with regular contact with the NIRAS Home Offices in Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Germany, Poland and Serbia.
He/she will be responsible for:-
- General market and business development and
- Assisting in the Tendering Processes.
- Develop in-depth knowledge of the most relevant thematic sectors for NIRAS and systematically gather information regarding key clients and funding agencies’ strategies and plans for development programmes
- Contact and interact on a regular basis with our main Clients (both government agencies and development partners)
- Expand our current CV database and consultants network by identifying and quality assuring new consultants (Kenyan and international) , as well as maintaining regular contact with key consultants in Kenya
- Explore cooperation opportunities with Kenyan and international consultancy companies and institutions
- Develop and maintain a database of clients, consultants and companies
- Support other NIRAS staff in establishing and developing networks
- Explore commercial opportunities (non- donor funded) in the area of maritime, geotechnical and wind power development
- Support EoI and tender preparations in Kenya.
- Contact and negotiate with potential partners.
- Assist in due diligence process and fact finding missions.
- Give advice on and assist to establish contacts with relevant consultants and companies.
- Act as a liaison with partners, stakeholders and government officials etc. as required.
- Assist the Country Representative with administration and financial management as needed.
- Assist NIRAS staff visiting Kenya with setting up meetings, organise for accommodation, transport and other practical issues as required.
- Assist with logistics and administration for the organisation of international training programmes courses held in Kenya.
- University Degree, preferably a Masters with some business experience.
- At least 5 years relevant working experience in a similar role, preferably in private company and or development agency.
- Working knowledge in tendering process for development projects is essential.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Fluent in English and Kiswahili.
- Efficiency, accuracy and attention to detail.
- Outgoing personality, good interpersonal skills.
- Proven track record of partnership creation.
- Strong IT skills.
- Demonstrable ability to proactively seek out new business opportunities.
- Ability to work well individually, within a team and deliver exceptional results within deadlines and set budgets.
- Capable of hands on problem-solving, with ability to generate ideas and solutions.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications which include a detailed CV, cover letter and contacts of 3 references via email to [email protected] by 14th March 2016.
For more information about us please visit www.niras.com/dc