Norwegian Refugee Council
Finance Officer – Kenya
Kenya Nationals Only Ref. No.: 2964499408
Job Location: Nairobi
Commencement: As soon as possible
Duty Station: Nairobi
Duration of Contract: 1 year contract with possible extension
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been present in Somalia since early 2004 and has since expanded its Horn of Africa Programme to Kenya in 2006 and to Ethiopia in 2011.
Since 2004, the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has demonstrated a regional competence and expertise in working with displaced populations.
NRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by the ongoing conflict and more recently by the drought and famine.
NRC offers a comprehensive response for Refugees, returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences; Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).NRC’s Horn of Africa operation comprises of large-scale multi-country humanitarian and early recovery interventions spread across eight countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, and Yemen), and most recently Eritrea, Uganda and South Sudan.
NRC’s overall strategy in the region is to ensure a greater number of vulnerable people in hard to reach areas get access to humanitarian assistance, become resilient to future disasters and find durable solution.
The regional office is based in Nairobi and works with country programmes to ensure standardisation of programmatic and operational approaches, promote multi country programming and ensuring quality and coordination.The Finance Officer is responsible for generating and consolidating financial reports from all field offices.
The position holder reports to the Finance Manager- Kenya
- Ensure adherence to Financial Handbook, other NRC policies and donor requirements
- Review bank account and cashbox reconciliations for the country office
- Review bank reconciliation statements and vouchers from the Field Offices to ensure that they are executed according to the Financial Handbook and other requirements, and give relevant feedback to the Field Offices
- Prepare the financial Project Summary
- Ensure proper filing of documents and transactions both from the field and country office.
- Distribute information and reports as required
- Train and develop financial team
- Review of payment vouchers to ensure coding of transactions and supporting documents is correct before posting to the financial system.
- Assist the Finance Manager in Preparation of financial reports and budget reviews.
- Focal person for all internal and external audits
- Degree in Financial Management and accounting related qualification.
- Certified Public Accountant of Kenya CPA 11 or ACCA.
- Experience from working as a Finance Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge of Agresso financial system will be an added advantage
- Some knowledge of English
Education Field: Finance / EconomicsEducation Level: College / University, Bachelor’s degree
- Ability to interpret donor regulations an all context of grant management and transactions;
- Wide knowledge of the NGO operations, internal strategy and the dynamics of development sector and donor business processes;
- Attention to policy and practice detail;
- Knowledge of development programming skills and program evaluation and impact measurement
- Knowledge of developing and building partnerships;
- Understanding of the Kenyan environment and the context of development sector program implementation;
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent concept presentation and general report writing skills;
- Excellent facilitative, supervisory/coaching skills;
- Excellent computer skills with hands on experience on computerized accounting systems; and Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
Salary / Benefits: According to NRC’s general directions. The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the NRC office in Nairobi.
How to Apply
Candidates should apply on line by going through www.nrc.no
Email and paper applications will not be considered.