Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been present in Somalia since early 2004 and has since expanded its Horn of Africa Programme to Kenya in 2006 and to Ethiopia in 2011. Since 2004, the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has demonstrated a regional competence and expertise in working with displaced populations. NRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by the ongoing conflict and more recently by the drought and famine. NRC offers a comprehensive response for Refugees, returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences; Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
NRC’s Horn of Africa operation comprises of large-scale multi-country humanitarian and early recovery interventions spread across eight countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, and Yemen), and most recently Eritrea, Uganda and South Sudan. NRC’s overall strategy in the region is to ensure a greater number of vulnerable people in hard to reach areas get access to humanitarian assistance, become resilient to future disasters and find durable solution. The regional office is based in Nairobi and works with country programmes to ensure standardisation of programmatic and operational approaches, promote multi country programming and ensuring quality and coordination.
Reporting to the WASH Project Officer , the WASH Assistant –Laboratory Technologist will ensure that water quality services and intervention are carried out as required to ensure that Persons of Concerns consume water which is safe from disease causing organisms.
Duties for the Civil Engineer Job
- Analyze survey reports, maps, drawings, blueprints, aerial photography, and other topographical or geologic data to plan projects.
- Plan and design transportation or hydraulic systems and structures, following construction and government standards, using design software and drawing tools.
- Compute load and grade requirements, water flow rates, and material stress factors to determine design specifications.
- Inspect project sites to monitor progress and ensure conformance to design specifications and safety or sanitation standards.
- Direct construction, operations, and maintenance activities at project site.
- Direct or participate in surveying to lay out installations and establish reference points, grades, and elevations to guide construction.
- Estimate quantities and cost of materials, equipment, or labour to determine project feasibility.
- Prepare or present public reports, such as bid proposals, deeds, environmental impact statements, and property and right-of-way descriptions.
- Test soils and materials to determine the adequacy and strength of foundations, concrete, asphalt, or steel.
- Conduct any other duties as may be assigned by the WASH Project Officer or the WASH Coordinator
Civil Engineer Job Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering from a recognized university or a Higher National Diploma from recognized national Polytechnic
- In-depth skills and knowledge in all aspects of engineering
- Understanding of Water , Sanitation and Hygiene promotion interventions
- Minimum of 2 years’ of relevant experience, at least 1 years in Humanitarian or working as construction officer, site supervisor/engineer, WASH Officer – construction or engineering or relevant position and experience
How to Apply
Click on this link to apply before 30th January 2017